Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to wrap sheet metal around a aluminum LPG forklift tank and weld the seem so as to create a bucket that the tank can slide in and out of. The problem is that the sheet metal that I would like to use is just a little too thick to bend around something that tight and I can't think of a way to hold it in place while I wrap it. (Can't tack the steel sheet to to aluminum can.)

Anyone got ideas? My friend reccomended subbing it out to a shop with a roller but I don't want to drop that kind of cash and I'd prefer to do it myself so that if I messed it up I could reproduce it.

J. J.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How thick is the metal you are trying to bend? You could try getting roughly bent into a U and then wrappping a big strap or cumalong(or 2) around it and cranking them down, also a little persuasion from a torch wouldn't hurt!

You could also try doing smaller strips and welding them together

I hope your not try to do .25" plate, good luck!

Brendan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Find you something about the same size as the tank. Then get you a comealong and a torch with a rose bud. Heat the metal in the middle and get the bend started. Once you've got it as far as it will go with out burning the hell out of yourself, wrap the comealong around it and start crankin. Heat it as you go and when the two ends touch tack them in place. It'll take four or five of your buddies to help you but it can be done. After you tack weld it you may have to beat it with a hammer to get it completly round.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Patooyee, I just started the propane conversion on my Bronco, I am running forklift tanks. I wanted to try and build the brackets myself and save some money. I found that a 3/4 ton chevy front rotor is the same dia. as the tank.

This may work for you, I tried it but the strap I wanted to use was a little to thick and I could not get the bend tight enough to satisfy me so I started searching for brackets. I called a forkliift service place and got them for free if I removed them from the junk forklift.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh, I've got the brackets ... I don't want ot use them. The tank is going to be underneath a storage comparement where I will not be able to get at the levers that the straps have, nor will there be space for them to open up.

The way the design works is that the tank is angled down so that I'll basically have a bucket to drop it into and it will rest on the bottom. The bucket needs to hug the tank so that its not always clanking around inside. Then I'll just put a small clamp around the lip of the bottle to keep it indexed right and from bouncing up and out.

Basically, if you ever saw that drab green Kaiser truck that competed in TTC a while back that had the two tanks stored in the side of his bed to where you pulled them straight out, I'm trying to accomplish something similar only in the back of the buggy instead. You could only see the tops of his tanks when they were installed.

J. J.

PS: Juts guessing, but the sheet metal is probably about 14 or 15 guage.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, the ratchet straps are a great idea. I cna't believe I didn't think of that! I'll try it! I'll let you know how it works out. Maybe even post some pics.

J. J.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
If you have a simple shop press you can make a series of very small bends a inch or so apart until your full diameter is done.......kinda like a stop sign with a lot more sides.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What about some pipe/tubing in a similar diameter? You can cut vertically and expand/shrink as needed. For some stuff I'm working on I found some 14" diameter, 1/8" wall scraps at the recycler.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
what about setting the sheet metal up against the tank, take some very heavy bar or angle, clamp the metal in place on the tank. tack the sheetmetal to the clamp in a few spots to keep it still.

Then start bending it around the tank.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know you want a box, or tube, but think outside the box. We mounted our aluminum propane tanks with two parallel tubes, wide enough to cradle the tank. We covered the tubes with rubber hose or foam padding, and held the tank in place with two ratchet straps around the tank and tubes. If that won't work for you, try three or four parallel padded tubes to slide the tank into.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good suggestions. I'm going to try the ratchet straps tomorrow night because the tube would be easier to weld in place than 4 seperate bars. I also checked out the material closer last nigth and it is only 17 ga, so this may be easier than I thought it would be.

J. J.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Take a piece of 2x2x1/4" wall box long enough to hang over the edge of your cut to size sheet metal about 2" on both sides. Now take two pieces of 2x2x1" thick steel and set them on the edge of your welding table. set the 2x2 box on top of the 1" pieces and line up the ends. Tack weld all this together and to the table. Now you can slide the sheetmetal between the table and 2x2 box tubing. Start bending up at the ends of your sheet making small bends every 1/2" to 3/4" untill you get the right curve. I made a section of pontoon tube 36" long doing this material was .125 6061 alum.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Find a tree or concrete post and use the torch and straps.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
shortbus said:
Take a piece of 2x2x1/4" wall box long enough to hang over the edge of your cut to size sheet metal about 2" on both sides. Now take two pieces of 2x2x1" thick steel and set them on the edge of your welding table. set the 2x2 box on top of the 1" pieces and line up the ends. Tack weld all this together and to the table. Now you can slide the sheetmetal between the table and 2x2 box tubing. Start bending up at the ends of your sheet making small bends every 1/2" to 3/4" untill you get the right curve. I made a section of pontoon tube 36" long doing this material was .125 6061 alum.
This is a great idea for a redneck brake. Gotta remember that one. :beer:

·
Registered
295 Posts
TNToy said:
This is a great idea for a redneck brake. Gotta remember that one. :beer:
Redneck brake lol. It works good man, glad you like the idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts