Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my 1990 jeep yj aint starting. its a 258 w/ the carter 2b carb. i was down the road from my house on some trails and i shut the thing off a few mintues after running over a really big stump. it was running fine after i was over it. i went to start it back up and nothing. just a click. got a buddy to try and jump me, nothing. volt meter shows roughly 12 volts. everything works. (lights, radio, etc)i installed a new starter, cleaned all connections and still nothing. im not even sure the click is from the starter. maybe a relay? im at my wits end and need this to be running for monday any help is appreciated guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had the same problem wiht my YJ 1990 4.2 carburated. The cam actually locked up.

I would first check the starter relay and that the battery calbles are clean and tight.

Put a socket over the crank pully and spin it make sure the motor turns over. . .if it doesnt. . . pull the plugs. .. if it still doesnt turn over then its terminal. If it does turn over then its electical ie either starter or relay or wiring.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so their are relays for the starters on these things or by relays do you mean solienoid. i cant see ti being terminal the thing hasnt been running great but i turned it off and then it wouldnt start. the starter doesnt even sound like its engaging, just a click.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sometimes those molded on ends on your cables get corroaded inside. take a jumper and hit the lug on the starter or since its only 2 bolt pull the starter and leave it hooked up,use a jumper for ground and see if it works

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got i t fixed. seems like the green ingition wire came apart at the connection and i didnt see it :doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts