Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing front and rear Yukon Ziplockers and regearing my 2016 JKU Sport, going from 3.21 to 4.56. I've started with the rear Dana 44 and would like some input on the patterns I'm getting.

I started with the stock pinion shim, which was .048 thick, and the pattern was really deep. I don't have picture of it and I've tried a few different setups before I started keeping track. One thing I've noticed is I cannot get the drive side to move any closer to the toe then what you see in the first attempt.

Legend for the pictures:
P = Pinion shim thickness
RG* = Shim thickness on the ring gear side of the carrier*
NRG* = Shim thickness on the NON ring gear side of the carrier*
BL = Backlash (Spec: .006 - .010)
* The master shims on both sides of the carrier are .177 thick and are not included in the shim thicknesses shown in the pictures.

Spreader tension was removed before running patterns.
First attempt:
1A.jpg 1B.jpg 1C.jpg

Second attempt (Backlash is to tight):
2A.jpg 2B.jpg 2C.jpg

Third attempt:
3A.jpg 3B.jpg 3C.jpg

I appreciate your guys input!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Looks like running backlash tight with the current pinion shim is as good as it will get. Try to get .006" backlash, if you can to get in spec. As it seats in it will open up a bit.

What brand of gears? What was the old pinion marking vs the new set? Spicer gears usually work out well for me.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Marty SoCal, Yukon Gears and right now it's looking like you're correct. I'm working with the Yukon tech at the local we're both starting to think I may have gotten a bad gear set.

I'm sending some more photos over to the Yukon guy tomorrow and we'll see how it goes. I'm planning on posting more pics once I have something that I believe other could benefit from.

Thank you for your input! Really appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honesty, I'd run attempt #1, it's better than some I have ran on a DD. Set pinion depth for pattern and shim the carrier for backlash. If you wanted better i'd add shim to the pinion to decrease pinion depth and you should see the pattern move out, then shim carrier for backlash and call it a day. Gears really aren't that picky. compare pinion depth measurement stamped on the new pinion vs the old and adjust the pinion shim to compensate. That gets you real close.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts