Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...Got my new 2000 XJ and now its time to lift the bitch up. I'm only going with 33x12.5 tires since I dont think the little axles can take that much. So far I've been looking at Rubicon Express 5.5", Tomken 6", and Rusty's 6". Whos got some experiances with these...pro's, con's. Any other companies you all think I should consider/products that would be very wise to also get? (I'm plannin on getting a SYE and CV shaft from High Angle so thats one less worry) I dont wanna spend 1K+ on a half ass kit and end breakin stuff so I figured I'd ask some folks who know their shit. :grinpimp:

Thanks for the input,

and yes, I SEARCHED :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
RE has always made good stuff. Poeple claim Tomken rides pretty stiff but their 6" Long Arm kit looks really good. Rusty has had probelms with being to soft, sagging, and general shipping and customer service problems. He does have a new long arm kit out I think, but havn't heard much on it. Skyjacker also offers a 6" and 8" kit. The hiems ends are expensive to replace though and I have heard of them being replaced about every year.

If I had the dough I would try te Tomken kit. Long Arms are the best way to go. Their arms also use Johnny Joints.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only have first hand experience with RE and Rockkrawler's long arm kits. I like RE and have no complaints with it. My friend has RK's long arm kit and it busted an arm at the weld between the arm and the bushing sleeve. I've heard of this happening with others RK kits as well. However, you'll save a couple hundred bucks going with RK over RE.

I have heard the same about Rusty's 6" coils being too soft and bowing. I've also heard RE 5.5" coils settle differently. I'm running RE 3.5" springs with 2" spacers with my long arms so I can't comment on the 5.5" springs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would reccomend RE. We just bought a 99 and we are going to start off with the RE 3.5 kit with the replacement rear springs. Also everyone I have talked to and who has the RE 3.5 has gotten 4.5" out of it. A friend of mine here is an RE dealer and he says that generally the RE kits usually net at least an inch more than they say. I too have heard bad things about Rusty's and Rock Crawlers stuff. They get bashed alot on the NEOW.org board.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Go RE springs and RE frnt arms. Fab up your own long arm or find a good fabricator to do this for ya. This is a no brianer on the long arm. FYI tera 1.5'' shackel in back and 2'' spacer up frnt if a sawsall scares ya.:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.