Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We got a 99' TJ.
The jeep has a 4.0L and is really low on power.
We have put in a banks exhuast and AEM air intake, But it still doesnt have power!
We also have an automatic.

We have a friend whos 2000 jeep TJ has the same engine exept a maunal trans and his jeep flys!

I was thinking maby the cats changed from the 99' to the 00'?

Tell me what you think.
Matt

·
Registered
590 Posts
:shaking: you drive a block on wheels get use to it. Isnt it thurs not tues:mad3:
What the hell are you talking about? So he doesnt have a V8, im sorry, but the 4.0 is actually pretty powerful if upgraded. Say something useful.
KrawlinCj, do you have a full exhuast system? I think a aftermarket cat would bring some more power to it. Maybe if your serious about upgrading, bore the engine to a 4.6, and it could become a real firebreather. Have you checked your engine for damage? The 4.0 w/ those upgrades shouldnt be running too low on power? Maybe look if the tranny is shifting incorrectly?

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,160 Posts
What are the gear ratios of each rig, tires sizes?

lastly, how the fawk is this hardcore?

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the gear ratios are stock (don't know what they are exactly but somone told me they were 3:73). And I don't need to bore it out because I don't got that kind of money noe expertise.

The exhaust is the headers and the cat back.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
stick a auto behind a 4.0L and its a fuckin snail, aint nuthin you can do about it trust me i have one too.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If you are on a budget....

Chuck a Comp 68-232-4 cam and recommended valve train at it (except the springs they recommend have wayyy too much clamping pressure, try Comps Dodge 340 dual rate ones instead and dumb the pressure back a bit - seriously, or your cam will fail).

Set of dual outlet headers - perhaps the Clifford (spendy) or the Pacesetters (reasonable).

Throw away the cat.

Hesco adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unfawkinbelievable...your friends 00 4.0 'flys' (WTF? No 4.0 'flys'), but your 99 4.0 is a dog, and you think it's because the cats changed? Where did Tues go? :shaking:
And WTF happened to this hardcore forum? I can count about 20 threads on the non-hardcore side that are more hardcore than half the fawkin threads over here.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you guys are right, I'll just swap my auto to a stick in a year or so and that way maby I can get the power back.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I really dont think you are going to get the seat of your pants improvement you're look for with any or all of the bolt on mods. If you really want power then you need to stroke it, blow it, or swap in something different.

BTW, usually this type of tech is considered non-hardcore, which is why people are giving you hell about it.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, I'll do a swap after I find I can't turn the tires up a rock (which shouldnt be to long away).

And thanks, Next time I'll post this in non-hardcore.

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
You never did answer the gearing or tire size question....

Your biggest problem is problem is probably gearing, not the engine.

Go buy a hesco aluminum head, bolt on power and great for future upgrades.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
how much is that?
http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=44115&catId=7735

IMO the 4.0 is a great motor it produces lots of low end torque but its not really one that is an overly good for HP type of motor in stock form. Yes you can get bolt on stuff, headers, chips, cat backs, cold air intakes and from eveyone Ive spoke with they spent more money than they gained in HP and the HP they did gain was a top end high RPMs.

But the options that do work are stroking the motor out, or buying a stroker, and or a supercharger something along those lines. Also depending on what gears you have in your jeep and the size of tires that will have an effect on your performance.

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,160 Posts
I'd still find out what gears are being run... if they're stock, a manual should have a higher gear ratio

·
Banned
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I did research and it looks like my jeep has 3:74 gears. I am running 32's on it right now.

I am going to buy some rubicon axles which have the 4:10 ratio which might help right?

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Yes some 4.10s will help if you stick with the 32s or 33. You seem really new to the jeep thing and I am not knocking you at all so dont take offense but a forum like www.jeepforum.com or www.jeepsunlimited.com might be a good place for you to learn about some of the basic questions you have asked.

Not that Pirate isnt a good place to learn just that even some of the newbie questions in this section are a bit more advanced than some of what your asking. But check em out...may help you some.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Well I did research and it looks like my jeep has 3:74 gears. I am running 32's on it right now.

I am going to buy some rubicon axles which have the 4:10 ratio which might help right?
Don't spend too much on those Rubi axles. They have D30 parts so in theory they are not any stronger than a D30. To me those axles are not true D44s. I would say look into Waggy 44s but, no offense, that may even be over your head right now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My 99 TJ with an Auto has 3.07 gears, so you might want to check that again..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts