Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this gets asked all the time and I have read a bunch of posts about clutches but I still can't decide which to get.

I am thinking of going with either an OE toyota or a LUK gold. Does anyone know the pressure plate load rating on OE toyota vs. LUK. Are they 1200 lbs. or 1600? I see Marlin offers both 1200 and 1600 and I am assuming 1200 is like stock? Has anyone noticed that on the Marlin website it says their re-surfaced flywheels have a .026 step for calimed better feel and grab. What's the stock step height. Does the extra step height work better for all clutches or just Marlin's.

Also can you run the larger diameter flywheel and P. Plate off a newer 22RE without any mods? Is it worth doing this?:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
slabcrawler said:
I know this gets asked all the time and I have read a bunch of posts about clutches but I still can't decide which to get.

I am thinking of going with either an OE toyota or a LUK gold. Does anyone know the pressure plate load rating on OE toyota vs. LUK. Are they 1200 lbs. or 1600? I see Marlin offers both 1200 and 1600 and I am assuming 1200 is like stock? Has anyone noticed that on the Marlin website it says their re-surfaced flywheels have a .026 step for calimed better feel and grab. What's the stock step height. Does the extra step height work better for all clutches or just Marlin's.

Also can you run the larger diameter flywheel and P. Plate off a newer 22RE without any mods? Is it worth doing this?:confused:
I can comment only on the Marlin 1600 lb clutch. Just installed one and machined my flywheel to the .026 step. I don't think it is absolutely necessary to do but if you are tearing into a clutch you might as well do everything while you are in there to keep from having to come back.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i just installed a marlin ceramic 1600 clutch in my 85 runner
did not turn the flywheel ( did not think it needed it )
and damn this clutch will snap your neck
it awt to be fun on the rocks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Doesn't really help though. I think stock Toyota clutches feel a little weak but I've never tried anything else. I think i'll try the LUK pro gold.

It sounds like a Marlin ceramic is really grabby. Is that really going to be fun in the rocks?:confused:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
"it awt to be fun on the rocks"
this was intended as sarcasim
its probably going to suck on the rocks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts