Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew just turned 12. He also just tore the crap out of his knee and cant play football or ride for the next 3-4 years. This really bummed the little (not so little..I may have to watch those jokes soon). guy out so I was thinking over the next two years we could build him a Scout. I'll be in Sheppard AFM for a year but I guess that gives me time to collect parts.

So I have a guy that wants to sell me a POS 1970 Scout800b for $100. It has a V8 of questionable workability. Semi floater D44 rear D30 front that I may keep till they go or just find some D44s. Its has a POS SOA that would go instantly along with the F'd up steering and wiring job. Its an auto BW I think that should work. I'm thinking 33s-35s to start him out and maybe ScoutII springs SOA, corvette brakes and hydro steering.

Its pretty rusty but it would be a trail rig that lives at Uncle Jon's house that his stupid deuche bag mom(my sister Mrs. Bipolar) couldnt touch. We could have alot fun with it and he'd learn alot about it and cars in general.

This way we could go out and have a blast together.

Sugestions? I'm not a kid person but this guy is great and very responsible. I cant wait to teach him how to weld.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
I'd just throw some SII axles under it, SUA, and start him off small. He should learn how to wheel little things before you go with the lift, tires, hydro, etc. Have him get a paper route and donate to the fund, whether it is for parts or just gas.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
I think any project you(or anyone) takes on with a child is awesome. My neighbor and his son are working on a 280Z and it was an absolute basket case. They have really bonded with each other and its fun to talk to the kid about his plans for the car.

With that said, give the boy his options and let him decide (with you steering of course) and just tear into it. It will build character and and like you said, give him first hand knowledge of vehicles.

I cant wait 'till my boys are old enough to understand. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I say start him small (so he can give it the furry w/o blowing shit up) that way he will trust that the scout is strong like bull :confused: Also it will make him want to build it more.. in hopes that some day the level 5 trails won't be so tough........If you need any parts FAB or NOS let me know and I will see what I can send you for shipping cash....You know keep da cost down....Good Luck my boy is 4 and I count the days :evil: :cool2:

Josh

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like just getting it up and running will be an adventure he won't forget and a way to teach him the basics, not that trail rigs ever brake down... To beat a dead horse, keep it simple and let him get the feel first, you'll know by the ear to ear grin when he gets bit by the bug and by the amount of seat fabric he sucks off the seat. My boy is turning 12 in oct. and for the first time he came out and asked what he could do to help and actually looked interested in what I was doing. it's usually my 9 year old daughter that's under the rig and get'n dirty with the old man. So with time patience and bloody knuckles your still going to have great time!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts