Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda hard topic to search. I have done a few SAS's but was looking for pics of a low to no lift SAS. My 92 Runner's IFS crap is in bad shape. I think it would be cost effective to just put a solid axle under it. I need some pics of front hangers that offer no to little lift. It is my daily driver and dont want to get hassled my the man. So I has to look stock. I know Scott at Rockstomper did an SAS with no lift but I think it was coil sprung. Anybody else.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the minimum lift you need in an SAS to clear the steering linkages and prevent frame contact is 3"

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I would think that a hanger with next to no lift, along with a stock length shackle and Toy rears or even stock SA front springs would do the trick. Whether or not you can get it to clear I dont know. shouldnt be too bad if you keep smaller tires on it.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
JamisonWorkshop said:
I would think that a hanger with next to no lift, along with a stock length shackle and Toy rears or even stock SA front springs would do the trick. Whether or not you can get it to clear I dont know. shouldnt be too bad if you keep smaller tires on it.
The problem there is the frame on a factory SA rig has the arch. The above pic is going to be fixed by chopping out the frame there and making more clearance.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
AS far as mine goes I have room to cut the shackles down and run less drop on the hanger and it would be fine. That is with Toy rears. Dont know how much lift that would be though.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This may sound crazy but what about running stock push-pull steering. Its a dailey driver so flex is not really a concern. Steering issues were my major concern. As well as the oil pan. but I think push-pull steering would solve that. Sounds kinda crazy, but I dont think it would cause any problems.

Jamison guess what I came acroos today.....85 Runner EFI. and a 91 P/u I not telling what I am paying for it.
:D

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bones that going coils in the front. right? FJ80's Cant wait to see it done.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JamisonWorkshop said:
rub it in :flipoff2: I need a fender:)
I got one for you. I just have to go and pick it up. Right now it is frozen in mud up to the hubs.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
I know Sky Man. has what they call there SAS drop front mount, I am actually using it as my drop mount on my 85 Runner. I believe it is 1/2" or 3/4" drop and random mounting of 1/2" to 1 1/2" forward. I am putting long springs in up front and didnt want as much lift while also movine the axle forward.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
OffroadRunner said:
Bones that going coils in the front. right? FJ80's Cant wait to see it done.
coilovers F/R. Rear will wait until the rig is mobile and what not. All the parts are there collecting dust though.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I wouldnt. Just go with as little lift as you can and go crossover, make a double arm.

Make the drop hanger short. Shackles can always be adjusted.
We can come up with a spring pack that will sit low and ride good. I dont see why you will have a problem with the law on that set up if you keep i manageable.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Johnny Law up there must be a prick! Can't even lift it enough to make 33's look tiny and still clear the steering? Notch the frame and keep it low are my words of wisdom :rasta:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bones said:
Johnny Law up there must be a prick! Can't even lift it enough to make 33's look tiny and still clear the steering? Notch the frame and keep it low are my words of wisdom :rasta:
I have had 1 inspect. ticket, Jamison has had 2. We don't even drive them that often. Johnny's are an ass around here.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't think you can much lower than I have mine and still get any uptravel. I have the All Pro 1.5" drop hangers and 3" front springs with one leaf removed. I figure my total front lift is just above 4". I might "might" be able to get away with one less inch in lift, but then it I would have only a couple inches of uptravel. My front springs are almost flat. I run 35" tires.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I started with a low lift SAS and had to make a straight pitman arm........2"x1" flat bar.....cut end with splines off stock pitman turn it down in a lathe..... drill hole in flat bar......insert splined piece tig weld in .......drilled other end for hime...worked like a charm .....try to post pic later too cold and late

1 - 20 of 31 Posts