Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I are going on a 5 day / 4 night kayaking trip in a couple weeks. Fully guided / meals all included type of deal. I just learned that all the meals they provide are vegetarian. :shaking: I'm hypoglycemic, so I need my protein. Carbs and veggies aren't gonna cut it. I'd like to eat more than nuts and protein bars the whole time.....

The other problem is due to the timing of everything (we fly in at 3am, drive 2 hours, then the trip starts at 7am), we probably won't be able to buy fuel for our stove, so cooking the typical dehydrated meals isn't going to work.

Jerky is the most obvious answer. I'll read up on making some of my own. Any advice on that is appreciated.

Any other good advice on making meat that can survive a week without refrigeration and can be eaten without heat?

I've heard good and bad about the military MRE's that cook themselves....

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
well...I would learn on your own time :laughing: and pack pre-made for this trip so your life does not suck.
Jerky (can be cooked with, hell its designed to)
Tuna and salmon in the pouch.
Shelf stable pre-cooked bacon.

Al can be picked up at walmart. We can work on your ability to dry or can your own next :D

·
Registered
26,689 Posts
Yep, go to wally world and stock up on the little MRE packet looking things of various meat. You can get chicken that way as well.

EDIT: another option is to take a trip to an Asian market. You can find these little tubs of dried and shredded pork and beef. Very much like the stuff you find in the old "jerky stuff" cans that look like dip cans, just way cheaper and lots more of it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Consider buying some pouches of chicken and/or the crumbled beef. They would be pretty easy to add to whatever meals they are preparing. I take them on my backpacking trips. Not terribly lightweight however.

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
Who the hell goes on a 5 day vegetarian kayaking trip? I would just not go:flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who the hell goes on a 5 day vegetarian kayaking trip? I would just not go:flipoff2:
It's my wife's ideal trip, not mine. I outspend her 10:1 and she makes more money than me and she's cool with that as long as she gets what she wants. Sometimes you just gotta shut up and go along with it, even if it's gonna be stupid. Happy wife = happy life for me. :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
9,335 Posts
It's my wife's ideal trip, not mine. I outspend her 10:1 and she makes more money than me and she's cool with that as long as she gets what she wants. Sometimes you just gotta shut up and go along with it, even if it's gonna be stupid. Happy wife = happy life for me. :D

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The trip itself seems like it has lots of potential. I dont know I could spend that much time with anyone I know who is vegan, they annoy me in shot settings.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot about the alcohol stove. Used to using my Jetboil or MSR canister fuel stove.

Not sure exactly where we're going. Wife is in charge of all the planning. We fly into Seattle, take a ferry for a few hours, then kayak from there. We're supposed to be kayking with the orcas. Hopefully we actually see some.

After that, we'll be hiking a few national parks, staying at different places as we go. Again, I don't know the whole plan. I'll be happy to share pics if anybody wants to see them.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts

·
III
28,132 Posts
Mail yourself some fuel to wherever you will be flying to or wherever the ferry stop is? Sorry, I know that's not what you;re asking, just trying to help.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
I have jerky threads in chitchat, it might have been moved to the cooking forum though.

·
Premium Member
35,608 Posts
You will be fine for that short of time without meat.
You need a good protein score every 7 to 10 days. By day 3 you will be ready to give a BJ for meat though.

A can of spam, canned ham, tuna, MRE, etc. will do you fine every other day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts