Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 79 pick up for free and decided to take it as a sign and build it. The problem is that I have never paid any attention to Toyota stuff and really dont know where to start. It has a 4 cyl. and a 4 spd. (L43?) What t-case would this have? I saw advance adapters has a 5:1 low range kit (21 and 23 spline) for $395. Will this fit? I also have a Chevy 4.3 Vortec that I would like to put in. How hard of a swap is this? I plan to run between 35"-37's on it. Will the drivetrain hold up? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The tcase is going to be basically the same as any tcase made for toyota 4cyl. from '79-'95. There were some variations (23 spline for turbo, top shift/forward shift) but they're all basically the same. The advance adapters lowrange gears should fit with some reduction case clearancing. The 4.3 swap is popular and a lot of people have done it. I'd say Crash's write-up here on Pirate is the best I've seen for a 4.3 swap. He does excellent, clean work. Familiarize yourself with the search function and use it often...there's answers to ALL your questions out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Welcome.

First place to start is get your favorite beverage and snack. At the top of page is a FAQ. Its one of the best your will ever see. Read it and your going to find HUGE amount of info on just about everythign that can be done, who sells it and every trick in the book on making these some bad ass little trucks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts