Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a Benz diesel into a mini truck. I have to move the front grill out as far as possible as its a 5 cyl so its a tight fit front to rear. I can't use the mini truck radiator ('91) because the ports are in the wrong place. I could get away with a Ford radiator but chevy is ideal. Thinner is better and I don't want to run an aluminum because it will run on vegetable oil so something that cools too well is actually only OK. I basically need something designed for a big 4 cyl or small 6 cyl that will fit in the spot where the mini truck radiator once was...

General measurements are no wider than 22.5" inches, 20-22" tall, again as thin as possible. Preferably chevy ports but Ford style on passenger side also works...

I was basically looking to see if there was some hack or someone who figured out an off the shelf radiator out there "that works in a mini truck pretty good"

Photos show:

FJ40 radiator mocked in place. Pretty good option I thought but hood won't close/too tall...

The Speedway motors smallest aluminum radiator would work but if it took a dump on me in the middle of Arizona or wherever I'd have to wait a couple days for Fedex versus something that I could have at a parts store in a day, and again I know its odd but I think it will cool too well.

The original radiator for this engine is 17" core by 24" height (also too tall) by 1" thick original core if it helps...

Here is hte engine.. I'm psyched to get it in...

·
Registered
715 Posts
chop some of the hood support out and call it done

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Look closely, it's already gone... With the FJ40 radiator it will hang about 2" lower than the original front cross member on an IFS truck. It's only being lifted about 3" so that makes using hte FJ40 radiator a rock grabber also...

Seeing if anyone has any leads..

·
Registered
715 Posts

if i remember right... the griffin rad is 19 tall 21 wide 2 1/4 thick

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool.. As I mentioned there is an aluminum at Speedway that is fully welded and a very nice rad for only $110 which I think would be a good way to go, but I'm trying to see if there is something off the shelf that will work better first...

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
volvo turbo, the older boxy style works great. 17' tall 22' wide. ya have to trim for the sides to fit but the higth is great and it has no cap on it because it has a press. resivior on the side so you can stuff it under the rad support and keep the hood latch in place. I also used the elec. fan out of the same car and the thermal switch is on the rad to work the fan.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If your so Inclinded to use the stock radiator or find another with ports still in the wrong location, any good radiator shop should be able to move the ports.
I'm using the the stock V6 radiator with my LT1 swap. Had a local radiator shop take the fill cap off and patch the hole so I can use a remove fill.
If I had been thinking more clearly I would have had them move the ports too.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yay! Now I'm worried about it possibly not being enough radiator but I'm willing to give it a shot. Best part-- Less than $110 with a lifetime warranty as well. Also has ports for a transmission cooler meaning I can run the vegetable oil through it.. Awesome!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So it looks like the Volvo radiator is the ticket. It is a universal radiator that fits pretty much all 240 and 740s. It is a 1 1/4" thick aluminum core. A lot of the Volvo guys are blowing 300, 400 hp out of their turbo models and it is cooling them just fine because it is aluminum (and small displacement of course). So I think it's going to be killer...

Autozone uses the same part number for for different vehicles and different locations the price varies between $102 and $127. I used '87 Volvo 740 Turbo 2.3 liter and was able to trigger the $102 price when buying in Salt Lake City for some reason. The Autozone part number is 433267 and it's only $102.67 with a lifetime warranty (which I like -- I also use this technique for alternators). It is the aluminum type center core with the plastic end caps. Also Autozones are all over the country which is very helpful.

I found a "Parts for Imports" type place that carries a threaded fan switch. Here is the part number: 802 53005 615 Only $12 which is pretty awesome. But now I can't figure out if all of these radiators that use the push-in type fan switch have threads. I guess I should just go down to Autozone to find out.

RockAuto.com also appears to have the exact same supplier as Autozone with a 1 year warantee for anywhere from $85 to $102 for the part. They use the part number SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU83 that also interchanges with the autozone.. Here is what the Rock Auto line reads:
SPECTRA PREMIUM Part # CU83 {#433267, 83}

And here is the interchange list...

VOLVO 240 (1990 - 1993)
VOLVO 240 DL 1990
VOLVO 240 GL 1992
VOLVO 240 SE 1991
VOLVO 242 (1976 - 1981)
VOLVO 242 DL (1980 - 1984)
VOLVO 242 GL (1975 - 1981)
VOLVO 242 GLT (1981 - 1984)
VOLVO 242 TURBO 1981
VOLVO 244 (1976 - 1981)
VOLVO 244 DL (1979 - 1989)
VOLVO 244 GL (1975 - 1989)
VOLVO 244 GLT (1982 - 1984)
VOLVO 245 (1975 - 1985)
VOLVO 245 DL (1979 - 1989)
VOLVO 245 GL (1982 - 1989)
VOLVO 245 GLT (1981 - 1984)
VOLVO 740 (1985 - 1992)
VOLVO 740 GL (1989 - 1990)
VOLVO 740 GLE (1985 - 1990)
VOLVO 740 SE 1991
VOLVO 760 (1985 - 1990)
VOLVO 760 GLE (1985 - 1988)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, you gotta love Billavista...

Smashmouth I'm going to send you a PM.. I was looking through all of your photos on photobucket. I was hoping I could pick your brains a little on wiring. I ripped out the engine and never marked the oil and temp sensors. I have a non SR5 bare bones gauge which has an idiot light for low oil pressure and a temp gauge (and fuel level) and that's it.. I bought new sensors but I still gotta figure out which wiring goes to them. I also want to eliminate the old computer wiring the same way you have. Computer is pulled and I don't think it will be that difficult to figure out. I figured out the alt of course (I'm using a Bosch one that is out of a Saab 9000 - bolts right on to the Benz diesel, 115 amp..

Anywhoo... Very cool you're local as well...

andre

·
Premium Member
2,716 Posts
no good picking smashes brain on the wiring because he had another guy do it for him.

I ran that volvo rad on my small block that is about 400 hp. should be fine for you. They can be had at pnp for about $50 and most of them are pretty clean and that will include the bottle and mounting bracket

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Sweet, I was just wondering how I was gona get a radiator in mine. I'll have to try napa or carquest for one of those cuz we don't got no vatozone in Hawaii.
BTW diesel, what are you going to use for a fan? I was thinking of using the mechanical for mine but might not have the room.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was doing some reading and the Mercedes bottle is almost identical except it uses a real radiator cap instead of the Volvo one so that is even better for me. I need to find the brackets though... Hopefully I can find one of these in a yard somewhere for that. They are hard to find though...

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Dang, I didn't grab a tank from the donor car, maybe I can find something else that will work.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ran that volvo rad on my small block that is about 400 hp. should be fine for you. They can be had at pnp for about $50 and most of them are pretty clean and that will include the bottle and mounting bracket
Awesome... I need to figure out which wires go to the oil pressure switch / idiot light, and the temp sensor. Time to get deep into the search...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Sweet, I was just wondering how I was gona get a radiator in mine. I'll have to try napa or carquest for one of those cuz we don't got no vatozone in Hawaii.
BTW diesel, what are you going to use for a fan? I was thinking of using the mechanical for mine but might not have the room.
Because there is so little room I'm going to run the mechanical fan from the Benz as the photo shows. Is the shallowest option out there. I prefer electrical and love the Taurus fan but there is just no room...

That radiator is pretty easy to find. Really makes my day that it had no problems with a small block.. :grinpimp:

God I love pirate. Been a while since I've been here but honestly the tech is so good and everyone here and done/seen it all...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts