Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a formula or a way I can find out how much my coils springs will compress with the weight of the truck on them?

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Figure out your sprung weight (how much the springs will be holding up), divide by the rate of your spring. That's how much the spring will compress.

I failed algerbra twice and even I figured that out :homer:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good lord... was it really that easy?

ok so then check me....

my front gross axle weight is 3,240lbs
my spring rate is 227

so i would divide 3,240 by 2 and get 1620

then i divide 1620 by 227 and get 7.1

so each coil will compress 7" with the trucks weight on it

correct?

·
Registered
690 Posts
No.
take 3240 minus the weight of everything not held up by spring (rims, tires, axle, hydro cylinder, etc) then devide by two for each spring, then devide by 227.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so im pretty much going to be only subtracting the weight of the tires and the old IFS suspension? would 500 be a reasonable weight to subtract? i also have another question. while looking up the weight of the truck the website i was looking at stated the front gross axle weight and the rear gross axle weight. but the weights were the same. should the front be higher then the rear due to the motor?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
gross weight is the MAXIMUM weight, and it has nothing to do with what you're doing.

Go get the thing weighed.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
gross weight is the MAXIMUM weight, and it has nothing to do with what you're doing.

Go get the thing weighed.
This is true.. He needs to know curb weight is the published spec that refers to the rig weight. It's not a perfect number but an okay estimate. And it is sprung and unsprung weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts