Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering selling my 96 - White Disco with 111K miles to buy a RRC for trail purpose only. This is what the Disco has

-Detroit rear locker with GBR heavy duty half shafts ( both about 2000 miles old)
-K&N Air filter
-Newer brake master cylinder
-Newer wheel bearings all around
-TJM front bumper fitted with Warn M8000 and two 550 Hellas
-Custom made roof rack with three 250 Lightforce
-Radio Shack CB radio
-5 - 235/85/16 Futura Enforces (65% life left) on Land Rover Steels rims
-Hood blackout

The bad:
-Cylinder head gasket starting to leak
-Sunroofs do not work
-Very noticeable dent/scratc at bottom front passenger side

I am not interested in parting it out yet. How much can I get for it?

I am in SoCal

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
ask 10-12, expect 8-10

[edit: just curious, why selling? you're not really going to save any money by going RRC over a D1. what most people wind up doing is locking in their losses in upgrades and depreciation, only to spend the same money twice on the 2nd rig. fwiw, i say wheel it! ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SearRove, much consideration is wanting a new toy-project; my wife likes Rovers too but, one at the time

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Keep it, wheel it, enjoy it.

If you sell it you will lose your shirt both in parts and time, TWICE. You'll have to do it all over again when you get the new truck.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
I'd second SeaRover's comments. The *typical* used car buyer is going to haggle you back and forth between Kelly and NADA bluebooks...where the book (and likely the buyer) doesn't give a crap about the locker, axles, bumper, etc. The *educated* offroader is going to look for a deal and your head gasket is the first place he'll start.

Keep it and keep modding it. Replace the head gasket and keep it rolling!

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Yeah, well....keep on disagreeing with me and I'll leave you cross-axled and open-diffed and stuck up to your eyeballs in kalich� dust while I walk home laughing my ass off!

:flipoff2:

BTW, nice show on the red car yesterday. Did you see my post in Gen4x4 about parting out a stolen/vandalized car?

:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On a similar topic, the cylinder head gasket. Some of my Rover friends have suggested that instead of fixing the cylinder head gasket, to upgrade to a short block 4.6. I was quoted $1500 for the replacement of the cylinder head gasket; also, told I can pick up a 4.6 short block of about $1 and $2K in installation. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Disco Values

Im no expert on Disco Values but around here you can pick up pre 97 discos with 100K miles+ in decent running and driving shape for sub 5000 many times sub 4000. And thats without the leaking head gasket. No offence but most folks are going to look at the low end off road upgrades (pep boys tires, detroit etc) as a sign its been abused. Id say keep it, there not much difference between what you have and the rangie. . . same wheelbase, same motor, same axles . . . whats the point?
-Regards
-Ike

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
jcabrera said:
On a similar topic, the cylinder head gasket. Some of my Rover friends have suggested that instead of fixing the cylinder head gasket, to upgrade to a short block 4.6. I was quoted $1500 for the replacement of the cylinder head gasket; also, told I can pick up a 4.6 short block of about $1 and $2K in installation. Any comments?
Aww forget it. Just sell it. By the time you pay out the big bucks to have a qualified shop perform the repairs or engine swap (and by "qualified" I mean somebody with marginally more ability, aptitude, and skill than you), you could have been neck-deep in Range Rover bling bling.

I didn't say it before ('cuz I suspect the enemy is lurking), but Discovery's are Range Rovers for CHEAP FUCKS. Quit playing with toys and get yourself a real vehicle.

Seriously (and I was serious before), if $1500 isn't enough to make you wake up and learn how to change the head gaskets yourself (at a savings of about $1400), then this is definitely not the right forum to even ask that question...

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Looks like I'll be learning how to do head gaskets myself.

I am going to get *back* my 4.2 longblock and do the gaskets on it and maybe a few other DieLucas! approved 'upgrades'.

Now if I can just find that engine stand...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trust me, I rather spend the money on other accessories for the Rover. I do not consider myself competent enough (mechanically) to tackle this task, the main fear is to f..k it up more. And yes, I do work on the my Rover consistently. In fact, this might be the first time I'd be paying to get something done on it. Serious request, and if you want, what does it take to replace it? Perhaps it is not as difficult as I presume.

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Whatcha need:

tools
a decent torque wrench
a gasket set
either a Haynes or a factory manual (I don't care what people say...they both have the torque specifications...that's all you need)

time
patience

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
Serious One said:
I am going to get *back* my 4.2 longblock and do the gaskets on it and maybe a few other DieLucas! approved 'upgrades'.
Ha! The best DieLucas! approved upgrade would be to stick the 4.2 in my truck!

Of course, I'm sure you'll tell me where to stick it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think that you're taking eveything into consideration DieLucas. Whenever you change the head gaskets, it's always good to do a small valve grind(nothing major like the machine shop does) check all of your push rods and take a look at your lifters while you have the thing ripped apart. you'll have to basically disassemble your motor from the top down. It's alot of work if you've never done it before. But if you're feelin' frisky, grab the manual and a couple of :beer: 's and get on it, it's definetly an all day ordeal if you don't have the right tools.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh and if you're not feelin frisky I have a guy that me and my pal take our trucks to to get serviced and he'll cut you a deal. He's in No. Hollywood. Really great guy.:D

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
What am I not taking into consideration?

Once you've got the heads off, it shouldn't be much of a problem (unless you are blind) to take a look at your pushrods, lifters, etc. Unless you're telling me that is the difficult part...

As far as a valve-grind goes...that is a machine shop procedure...unless you're referring to "lapping" the valves (try that on a heavily carbonized head with heavily carbonized valves). Sure it's a good idea to have the heads bead blasted, grind the seats and valves, and possibly mill the heads to make sure they are flat. A machine shop can do that and it doesn't add an ounce of difficulty to somebody trying to replace the head gasket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts