Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my buddy is building his toy pickup and his computer is in transit from ontario to BC and he asked me to post a quick question.
what are your opinions should he put a detroit locker or ARB in the front? he wants to put in 529 gears and 35" tires I think he will play more on mud and trails than strait rocks
thanks for any advice

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I had a detroit locker in the front of my '84 toy and I personally liked it, but I only played in mud. (at the time) Then I while past and I was introduced to this site, read some post and deceided to pull the detroit out when I changed gearing (Had 5.71's and went to 4.37's) Reason I pulled my detroit out was because all the talk I read about people blowing up a $425 locker when they broke something else (birf or inner) See once you break something in the front, all the momemtum gets ratcheted back.....and what is hooked to the inner shaft???? your locker. Well i am not rich, But if you got the money, spend it on a arb. I would if I had it. Why spend that much cash on something that can go :nuke: ?? Why not look at cheaper alternatives?? Like an aussie locker.....$199. Camo (I think) did a write-up.....look on the main page, it should be there............Dave:D

My .02

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
what if you don't have the money for an arb up front, what would your guys second choice be, an aussie locker or true trac, etc.??

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
porterwagner said:
what if you don't have the money for an arb up front, what would your guys second choice be, an aussie locker or true trac, etc.??

I'd say aussie.....just from the reveiws lately. They do call a trac loc .....trash loc...right?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
porterwagner said:
Save up for an ARB. IMO lunchbox lockers are not worth the $$ in the end. They are not as strong as a full carrier replacement locker, PERIOD! I wouldn't run one in the front or rear. A tru trac is a posi unit....they suck. I built my rig with an open front and when it came time to lock it, I thought long and hard about spending the extra $150 for the ARB (air supplies can be had for free or cheap, so leave those out). In the end, the $150 was more than worth the ability to turn with an open front.

·
Banned
757 Posts
Weld it! Up here all the people that play in the mud alot, Are strong believers in welding the front up... Mainly because in slick stuff, The tires always have some give and will steer just fine...

·
Registered
31 Posts
my .02

loc-rite (or similar) and longfileds. good to go. been running mine with 38.5's with no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts