Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a a jeep and the guy i bought it from wired a bunch of stuff but didnt seem to care about making it look nice. i started trying to clean it up today but there's just so much and i dont really no where to start. i know how to wire stuff and how it works and everything, i just dont really know where to start, any help would be appreciated, especially like pics n stuff... I'll take some pics of the wiring tomorrow so you can see how bad it is

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
when i wired up my yj things got a little messy. once i'm sure it is all running correctly i'm going to put in 2-3 fuse blocks and just start replacing 1 wire run at a time.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Do you need to add fuses to mess the previous owner made? The way I always clean up wiring on a new vehicle is to follow all of it and know what every single wire does. Usually there are a bunch of wires that go no where. When you remove those, the wiring cleans up itself.

For fuse blocks I use Blue Sea Systems. I don't use the ones with the negative buss, but in my boats I do. I just ordered 3 6 fuse, non negative buss for the limo. They work well, look great, and are a good price for the looks and functionality.

Then cover the wiring in something, like the Convoluted Tubing.

Thats all I really do. Looks good, works well, doesn't explode!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Remove old wiring and replace what you need , crimp & solder all connections . The Blue Sea products are nice .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys i guess i'll just start replacing everything that he did. here's a few pics of what it looks like now

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Actually that doesn't appear to be as bad as you think. Yes, it's a bit messy. And probably needs to be tidied up a bit.

Start with some masking tape and a felt tip. Mark all the wires. Then see if they are routed in the most direct way to their destinations. Consolidate wires when you can. And by all means check if they are the proper gauge for the load they are carrying.

I'm doing a similar job on my 76 CJ5 project:

Oh...And it's always better to cut the wire longer than necessary, as opposed to shorter.....:grinpimp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts