Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '84 pickup. I need to find out what a specifi fuse does in my driver's side kick panel fuse block. It is labeled as slot '6'. It is in the bottom row, 2nd from the right. My Chilton doesn't show my year fuse block so I am stumped. I am hoping that it is the meter fuse, or instrument panel fuse.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Originally posted by x2_rage:
<STRONG>I have an '84 pickup. I need to find out what a specifi fuse does in my driver's side kick panel fuse block. It is labeled as slot '6'. It is in the bottom row, 2nd from the right. My Chilton doesn't show my year fuse block so I am stumped. I am hoping that it is the meter fuse, or instrument panel fuse.</STRONG>

What isn't working? That would be a clue.

I will look at my 84 tonite.

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: fourwd1 ]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told that the fuse is the 15A engine fuse. And its my instrument panel and blinkers (but hazards work) that do not work. I ran through the wiring diagram, and i have some ideas. If I look in my chilton at the wiring diagram, its pretty interesting. THere is a yellow/white colored wire that runs through a 7.5A fuse, and there is a 15A Engine fuse labeled there. Both of those provide power to the guages. Everything else that goes into the guages are grounds for the specific guages, since I believe that guage readouts are determined by how much thy are grounded, not by how much power they receive.
SO, IThe yellow/white wire has full 12v. But, since the 15A Engine fuse keeps blowing in the mydriver's side kick panel, I am guessing that it is the same one listed in the diagram for the cluster and various other things. The problem I have is that I tried to track it down through the wiring harness and it seems to pop in to the fender well (drivers side) and pop back out almost to the front of the inner fender well. When it pops out, if I am not mistaken, it seems to go to the plug that goes to the ext regulator. I have had that wire/plug disconnected for over a couple of months since I runa GM alternator now. I am guessing that I am looking at the wrong wire, but it is the only solid red wire in the wiring harness. . . so right now I am stumped.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts