Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hate me if you want but last year i built a '46 willys/toyota using a 4runner frame, '84 toy axles, toy power steering with a rebuilt 22r and a g52 5sp tranny.
i love the willys and love to drive it but i have had a continual issue with the rear driveshaft... the toyota 5sp is just too darn long and the rear drive shaft is only 12" she she sits. and that's AFTER i lengthened the wheelbase 6" for some extra room. i've been playing with a traction bar to reduce axle wrap but even so a good bump in the road will cause the nuckles of the u-joints to rub. i hate it.
so... i need a different trany.
i see that some people put the sm420 behind the 22r with a simple adapter behind the bellhousing... that wouldn't shorten me up just fine and allow me to go with a dana 20 but i'm a bit nervous about sheen size/weight of the sm420 and wonder if the 22r can keep all that metal turning.

what transmission would you recommend?? -i'm mostly shooting for length reduction here. strength is a plus but i don't want to overdo it.. a bonus if it allows me to go back to the dana 20 so i can run my winches.

thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
skullyota: thanks for the tip.. i'll measure one as soon as i'm able to confirm that.

cro: yes the ott adapter is one of the things i'm looking at (though i'd probably make my own) thank you for the parts info in the clutch and pilot bearing; that will definitely be needed.

i was also hoping to hear someone chime in on the np235 or t18 or throw some more ideas on the table....??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks rat. i have an l50 in my '82 toyota and i must say i''ve never been impressed with it.. in face it just went kaput so i'm going to swap in the g52 that i take out of the willys.
the L50's length is listed as 20.87" vs the g52 at 25.5 means it is only 4.3" shorter. -i'm doubtful as to whether that will be enough to solve my problem (i'm out of the country right now so i can't go check atm..)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts