Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going to try to shave my 8.8 before uroc this season. Any body got any pics/advice from this project? I'd like something to look at before I f$*k up a perfectly good axle. Any advice/ thoughts would be great. Thanks dave I did a search, but was looking for actual after the fact advice.

· Fistful of Boomstick
42,968 Posts
here you want help?
use the fucking seach button for shaved or shaving an axle
Link for the lazy
and another cause i'm in a "nice" mood

or do like i did and grab a 4inch grinder and get crazy till ya think it looks good

and while you have that 8.8 out to shave the bottome why dont you slide a real axle in its place,ok ?

have fun
:flipoff2:

· Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, BUT DIDN'T FIND WHAT i WAS LOOKING FOR. Ihad hopes that somebody as articulate as you may have something helpfull to add!:flipoff2: I am guessing that a "real" axle would be a 60? An even bigger center. That is exactly what I am looking for:rolleyes:

· Fistful of Boomstick
42,968 Posts
35xj said:
i DID USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, BUT DIDN'T FIND WHAT i WAS LOOKING FOR. Ihad hopes that somebody as articulate as you may have something helpfull to add!:flipoff2: I am guessing that a "real" axle would be a 60? An even bigger center. That is exactly what I am looking for:rolleyes:
try any axle of = size without a C-clip for starters (unless you have disk brakes on it) :D my 60 is ground smmoth and would require some effort to snag.

well lets see you metioned doing comps with it so you tell me what costs more points:
snagging a 60 housing on a rock and having to get off it?

or

Breaking a 8.8 shaft and time out the run?

· Registered
508 Posts
usmcdoc14 said:

try any axle of = size without a C-clip for starters (unless you have disk brakes on it) :D my 60 is ground smmoth and would require some effort to snag.

well lets see you metioned doing comps with it so you tell me what costs more points:
snagging a 60 housing on a rock and having to get off it?

or

Breaking a 8.8 shaft and time out the run?
What makes you think he couldn't just as easily break a D60 shaft? Last time I checked most D60s are 1.30" and 30 spline... and if I am not mistaken the Ford 8.8 shafts are 1.32" and 31 spline. Therefore, I don't see how the D60 is so much superior to the 8.8 from your "shaft breaking in competition perspective".

BTW, I am assuming 35xj has a '95 or newer 8.8 that does have discs - thus retaining the shaft if he does manage to break one.

· Registered
397 Posts

· Fistful of Boomstick
42,968 Posts
jeepbrew said:

What makes you think he couldn't just as easily break a D60 shaft? Last time I checked most D60s are 1.30" and 30 spline... and if I am not mistaken the Ford 8.8 shafts are 1.32" and 31 spline. Therefore, I don't see how the D60 is so much superior to the 8.8 from your "shaft breaking in competition perspective".

BTW, I am assuming 35xj has a '95 or newer 8.8 that does have discs - thus retaining the shaft if he does manage to break one.
funny my 60 has 35 spline axles, maybe thats why i put it in :flipoff2:
and so what if the average 60 is 30 spline, do you want to debate shaft strength between a full float vrs. semi float ? :p

i could put 1/2inch thick tubes, shave,and truss the AMC 20 in the back yard and guess what...
it would still be a turd

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.