Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem Found(Need Toy Help)

A quick summary. 1986 Toy xcab 4x4 with an 84 22R block with stock 86 EFI stuff added to it. It has been cold the last few weeks. It ran fine Tuesday, didnt drive it yesterday. Last night it was -36 Deg C which is cold I am not sure of the temp in Farenheight. It wont idle it sounds like it is missing a cylinder very rough sounding. I can barely move it no power so rough and loud and I need to keep it reved up just to keep it from stalling and to move it. I thought it was just frozen but even with it reved and "driven" it made no differnce. What could be the problem. Its my DD and I need it running please help.

Thanks

·
Registered
344 Posts
MAN -36 and you wan tus trouble shoot it for you...lmao:eek:

We think its cold here its 45 and raining at night..:D

YOu can have fuel problems,oil viscosity problems, in the trans especially if its a manual . or an auto. You could have a a frost bitten injector or plug wire. Check your wires and distributor cap , make sure there isnt anything plugging the intake like a frozen solid air filter:eek:

GGGGGGooooddddd LLLuuuuuccccckkkkkk .......

geez thats cold ,sure glad i dont have to work in that ..

Gary:beer: :beer: :beer: have a warm beer on me..:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled off the air filter and left the housing open just to see it that was the problem and it was not .The plugs are still connected and distributer is still in place. It has not rotated any as my aligning marks from when I changed the head gasket in the summer are still there and inline. Thanks for the input. As for weather I was in North Carolina a couple of years ago and the temp was in the 70s and we enjoyed swimming in the Ocean. us Canadians and all.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You running a block heater or just lighting fires under the pan before you go out...:)

Try getting some fuel additive with alcohol in it.Wiil help with moisture and all as well.

See if the air flow meter door moves freely with your fingers,if it does and you have good fuel and fuel pressure,
Crack the cold start injector line and and crank it see if it has good pressure ,kinda hadr with out a guage but if it just trickles out work your way back to the pump.
Then make sure your spark is good and blue. Pull the coil wire off the distrib and crank it holding it next to a ground ,engine or body about a 1/4 inch away. Should be a good blue spark. if not well coil ,or pick up resistance in distrib could be affected by cold.

Pain when i t gets that cold.Test the laws of physics....:D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a manual tranny 5 speed where is the airflow meter located, how should I check the fuel pressure and finally what should I check on the cold crank line and what is it?

·
Registered
388 Posts
when it got real cold here, by real cold i mean 18 or 19 degrees, mine would do the same thing. it wasnt quite as bad but it would still lose serious power. after the block heated up, the prob. went away. all it needed was new plugs and wires. ive never had the same problem since then. try the simple stuff first. even though the wires are on tight (mine were too) they can still go bad

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks any more info or suggestions. No shop I will fix it myself. Thanks again

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update

Status Saturday morning cheked the plugs wires and vacum lines nothing was loose. I checked the coolant overflow tank it was nearly empty but when I checked the rad coolant spurted out like it was still under pressure which is wierd because it hasn't run since Friday afternoon? I started it with a boost it ran still rouch but better and it would idle as long as my foot was on the clutch when i removed my foot it would stall out? I reved it up untill my friend told me to shut down, my coolant overflow was full and over filling? Towed it to a plug to plug in the block heater. This morning It started on its own power ran rough still had the clutch depressed to idle but ran rough didnt want to rev up? and leaked coolant again? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Say hello to your new blown head gasket. did you get the head checked for cracks and squared when you changed the head gasket in the summer? If not just be happy that it has lasted this long.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I did not get the head checked for cracks or "squared' when I changed the head gasket this past summer. I drove the truck all the wasy from Toronto to Ottawa since then no problems like this untill now. Why do you think its a head gasket is there a sure fire way to tell. The only reason I changed it was the guy I bought it off of said it was needed and he bought the new one for me.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
TOY4X4HOPEFULL said:
No I did not get the head checked for cracks or "squared' when I changed the head gasket this past summer. I drove the truck all the wasy from Toronto to Ottawa since then no problems like this untill now. Why do you think its a head gasket is there a sure fire way to tell. The only reason I changed it was the guy I bought it off of said it was needed and he bought the new one for me.
You told me it was a head gasket problem:
"I checked the coolant overflow tank it was nearly empty but when I checked the rad coolant spurted out like it was still under pressure which is wierd because it hasn't run since Friday afternoon? " and " I reved it up untill my friend told me to shut down, my coolant overflow was full and over filling? "
Sounds like your engine compression is pressuring up the coolant system. Is the exhaust full of vapour and smells like antifreeze? Are you low on antifreeze? It won't idle without your foot on the gas and has no power. All classic symptoms of a blown head gasket and or a cracked head. When you change it this time take a head to a shop, get it checked for cracks and squared, and possible fully rebuilt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Geez sounds like you might have a cracked head or head gasket yep....

Check the oil for coolant or looking mikly white .

Get a preesure checker and pump it up to 17lbs see if it holds pressure.
If your getting coolant coming from the radiator overflow while its running then you have a cylinder leaking from a head gasket or cracked head. It could have frozen and done this but it would be unusual if youhad coolant or antifreeze in it i mean. That is rare to crack head or block because of temperatures below freezing with the coolant we have now adays but it can happen . Pull the plugs turn it over with the radiator full and see which cylinder has water coming out.
That will tell you which cylinder, then you will have to pull the head to inspect ..sorry no other way to do this it appears.:(

Gary

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem Found?

Cam shaft cracked in two. I have a pic if any body will post it for me then all can see it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I see it, did you get the pics i sent?

Check your block for cracks and freeze plugs,they prevent things from breaking due to freezing,uh are supposed too..:)

Cam can't break imho from being frozen as in cold ,without block damage.

Check it out carefully before proceeding.

gary

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I got your pic also, thanks. Block damage also? Where would be key spots to check out. Last thing I want to do is rebuild my other head only to have a f**ked block. You dont think just the cam would snap alone without doing damage other than to the head?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts