Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a "new to me" w56 tranny this past weekend. Bolted it in started it up and it shifted into reverse so smoothly i couldn't believe it..so i go for 1st gear and again it drops right in. So i get going and i am happy cause i've always had to fight to get into 1st gear, start picking up speed and slide it into 2nd and it shifted smooth again so i think i'm home free, well i pick up a little more speed and go for 3rd and i hear this grinding as it drops in....so i think i short clutched it and i go for 4th and it grinds again! Well i've come this far so i figure i'll go for 5th,...well it drops right in as smoothly as 1st and 2nd gear did.

Any ideas?
Am i screwed?
Syncros on 3rd & 4th fried?

Reverse is good
1st is good
2nd is good
3rd grinds
4th grinds
5th is good

Could i have screwed something up lining the transmission up when reinstalling it?(like hit the housing on the clutch assembly and mess it up?, but if so wouldn't it have
effected the other gears as well?)

HELP,HELP,HELP!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Eric- Where did you get the tranny from? And did you change the fluid or just run with what was in it? If so, then try some Mobile synthetic in it. May shift better.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Is it rebuilt or reused? Could be syncros or a bent shift fork on the 3-4 shift collar.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by BrianR:
<STRONG>Is it rebuilt or reused? Could be syncros or a bent shift fork on the 3-4 shift collar.</STRONG>
Re-used. Drained and refilled with Gl-4.
Sounds like i bought more problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.