Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got an NP242, need to get the shifter forks to pull out so that i can remove the shaft assembly for input spline shaft swap!

:eek:

I removed the spring latch indent thing, (following misc internet instrustions) and the fork shift assembly wont budge!

What am I missing!!!???

:eek:

HELP!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
How similar are the inards of these to a 231?

Can you take some pictures of what your trying to get out.

I recent;y took two 231's completely apart and might be able to help if I could see some pics.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monkeyboy said:
How similar are the inards of these to a 231?

Can you take some pictures of what your trying to get out.

I recent;y took two 231's completely apart and might be able to help if I could see some pics.
THEY ARE VERY SIMILAR!

email me with you phone number
or call me 916-869-1301

·
Registered
657 Posts
OK it should be in 4wLo - you have removed the nut that has the o-ring, spring and little plunger behind it right?

Now go to the area right beside the front output yoke, there should be a little access hole - align the roll pin in the range fork with the access hole and using a small easy-out (screw extractor #1 IIRC) in a pair of vise grips - push in counter-clockwise and then pull out while still twisting - the roll pin should come out attached to the easy out...

You can now pull the rail out :flipoff2:

When you put it back in - look at it closely as one end is tapered and the taper goes in first...

Now back to your regularly scheduled tech ;) Enjoy

Matt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, so without this screw extractor, can it be done???

I need this done before tonight! this is my daily driver :(

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
I don't remember having a roll pin to remove.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't know of a better way - get a ride to home depot or lowes and get a set of extractors - I'd lend you mine but I think the local hardware store is closer than Gold Bar, WA - I suppose anything you could wedge in there and grip while twisting might work - a small drill bit?

Why do you need to swap the input gear - did you change trannies?

Do you have another case that will fit just so you have two wheel drive for tomorrow - I know your pain I used to do the very same deal with my XJ

All else fails call in sick :rolleyes: or like me have you used that one too much already!

Sorry there isn't better news! :(

Matt

·
Registered
657 Posts
Monkeyboy said:
I don't remember having a roll pin to remove.
Have you done a 242 before? The 231 only has the single hex cap with spring and detent pin behind it...

I figure the 242 has the extra retainer due to the extra mode (full time 4wd)

Matt

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
AH that explains it

I've only done 231's

Is their any way to get to the roll pin with a drift to remove it?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do i put it back?

WHAT A FUKN PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

-Still have yet to get it out! :(

·
Registered
657 Posts
It goes into a blind hole so you have to pull it out the way it went in :(

I suppose if you had a pin punch the right size you might be able to get it wedged inside of the roll pin and pull it that way - more likely I see you seating it more firmly...

I went and looked at the spare I had on the rack and there should be a little rubber plug the size of a pencil eraser next to the range fork pivot/ linkage bolt - pull the plug and the pin your after is down that hole

I still think finding a screw extractor either tonight; probably getting too late or in the early AM is your best bet :(

Have fun I am resting up after tearing apart my top end to get my header out - cracked #5 almost all the way around the tube and last stud was missing, also the 2nd lower intake exhaust bolt had vibrated out - the gasket was just incinerated beyond the #5 hole

Could they make those shared intake exhaust bolts any harder to get to! jeez :flipoff2:

At least I got it welded up

Good luck

Matt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think im gunna drill it out, posibly tap it when i go to put it all back together, then use an actual bolt/screw to hold it in place...

THANX MATT!

-dane

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sorry for the break - I was expecting a call :flipoff2: - just slather some RTV silicone on what every you rig up to go in there and you should be good to go - I still vote for the call in sick option :p

Catcha later,

Matt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yeah, i'll just take tomarrow off, but i gotta get the girl to work at 6am :eek:

Guess i'll just call a taxi for her...

Thanx for your help man :)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
did you get a hold of billy? hopefully he offered some help.

Sean

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No i wrote the # down wrong :( oh well, thank god for PIRATE4X4.COM!

Yup, i just finished about 30mins ago, sye installed too :)

THANK YOU GENTALMEN!

-DANE

SOLUTE :flipoff2: hoo ahhh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts