Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been posting questions and getting great responses and help for a long time now, and Ive gotten a lot done on my truck but am still having trouble. I have found that my turbo is shot for sure and not rebuildable because where the wastgate valve is, a chunk of metal is missing about the size of my little finger so that exhaust is freely passing by without spinning the fan acting like an open wastgate. I need a new turbo but a little uncertain what to buy and where to buy from. Garret t3? Are there more thatn one style of Garret T3, and if so how much work is really entailed in adapting it?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the local yards say they dont have any, including TAP. Even if they did I dont know if I want to spend more on a poorly built possibly bad stock turbo than another style that may be better and cheaper.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
this is supposed to be a good upgrade: http://www.turboengineering.com/upgrade_bolt-in_applications/import/toyota.html
Got one for my toyota, so I know it goes in real easy; havent turned the motor over or even driven the truck for that matter so cant tell you how it works yet. I have heard good things. Used to have a write up a magazine did with the before and after dyno numbers but I think I deleted it :confused: You should be able to find it on here or on the web.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds good but looks expensive. I know its a lot to ask, but I'm looking for something used but good condition. Some fabrication would not be a problem I just dont want to spend too much looking for small components etc. Actually I'm hoping to find something for around $300.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, nice link. I submitted to recyclers me need and hopefully will come up with something. Unfortunately the only posted results that immidiately came up were from $600- $1000+.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
I think i know where there is a newer turvo, it is a ct-20, but it is in perfect working condition, probably about 500 bucks, it is still on the motor, and the motor spun a rod bearing, used to run till the cab was removed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive already found rebuilt ct20 turbos from japan for &260 + $85 for shipping, but I'm still interseted in upgrading if its goind to be that much. Ebay has the t3 for around $150 on occasion but Im a little concerned with the possibility of multiple styles and getting one that cant be reasonably be adapted.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just purchased a rebuilt ct20 from ebay. It was 250 + shipping. Definately keep your eye out on ebay if you don't want to spend the big money. Also, do a search here on "ct20 rebuild" and a bunch of companies will pop up on where to get one rebuilt. There is some place in TX that was recommended. (Maybe get a core off ebay and send it to them)
There is also a person selling a used Tec upgrade kit for around 800. PM me if you would like his email address.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did th eCT20 need rebuilding or was it in good shape? 250 + shipping is right around what I could spend without too much ass chewing from the woman in charge.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can pickup the t3's out of the old 300zx's (84-89). They are a decent sized turbo and spool up very well, and they have a standard t3 flange. I run one on my 2.4 litre ka24e and it does great. Another option is a super 60 off ebay. Good sized turbo for a 2.4 litre engine plus it already has an internal wastegate set at around 6psi I believe. Downside is you are going to pay around 400 for one.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Lord Orange said:
If you run any more than 8psi your gonna need to richen the mixture up.
i hate to sound like a dick but that is not always true, and carparts.com suck ass

now for some tech, the last coversion i did i used a t3 from a turbo diesel 6 banger it had a internal waste gate like many others, i built an adapter from the stock adapter to the t3 flange and rerouted the exsaust , the turbo had a wierd ss exspantion band off the back. any exaust shop should be able to fix the down pipe. another decent turbo is the ford t3 comonly found in mid eighties mustages and thunderbird with are know as turbobirds or some crap like that they are all over p np here in sac

another turbo that you may beable to use is a laberron t3 all over the place, look on the back roads and you will find one half taken apart

my $.02

cliff

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I'm building a turbo motor, but I'm using a Garret T-3 instead of the stock compressor and I may have a good condition CT-20 I can part with. email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

rich

·
Registered
158 Posts
jvorpagel said:
Did th eCT20 need rebuilding or was it in good shape? 250 + shipping is right around what I could spend without too much ass chewing from the woman in charge.
250+ shipping was a rebuilt CT20 with new center cartridge installed. The used TEC kit would have been ~800 and then another ~300-350 for the 2.5" exhaust that it needs too. The CT20 was the quickest and cheapest way (for me) to get the truck back on the road for the summer.

If you have time, below are directions that went around the 22RTE list a few months ago on installing a CT26 onto your motor. Does not look all that bad either..

I did not write these directions- so please don't ask me questions. Just passing info along...
---------------
When I bought my 1987 Toyota Truck with a 22RTE engine it had a dead CT20 turbo. This is how I installed a CT26. I got a CT26 of off ebay. I had to grind the mounting holes on the exhaust housing towards the center. This allows it to fit on the 22RTE exhaust manifold. I ported the exhaust manifold while I was at it especially the outlet using the CT20 gasket as a template. The inlet of the CT26 is about the same size as the hole in the gasket.

Now take apart the turbo and clock the three sections to fit the truck. I put the manifold on the truck with just the exhaust housing then put the center section so that the oil feed/drain port pointed straight down and marked the 2 sections to put them together later. The compressor housing outlet is rotated also to a 45 degree angle looking from the front of the truck. There are some pins between the sections that have to be removed.

The wastegate actuator from the CT26 works but you need to bend the rod a little differently.

Then I took the Supra feed/drain line and the 22RTE feed/drain line and made one from the two. I used the 22RTE drain flange and pipe that go to the block but the flange that goes to the turbo is from the Supra and I retained the feed line that comes out of it. But then I had to use the banjo fitting on the feed line from the 22RTE and solder it on the Supra feed line so it will fit the feed port on the block.

I took the intake pipe from the CT20 to the throttle body and cut off the flange that bolts onto the CT20. The pipe is 2 pieces so I ground off the weld and took that flange and short section of curved pipe out. Then I welded in a short straight piece of 2"OD pipe. I got a radiator hose with a 45-degree bend in it for the time being to connect the turbo to the pipe. Got that, 45 degree turbo outlet plus 45 degree hose equals pointing up to the intake pipe.

Alright, next was the lower coolant pipe. The larger turbo hits it. I got a "Cool Flex" pipe which is a bendable pipe and I re-routed it. The hose that connects to the water pump, I took and trimmed it in half. There is a return line from the heater core so I retained that portion and connected the “Cool Flex” into the hose. Then I routed it back around the engine mount and forward to a straight hose into the radiator.

Now from the air cleaner to the turbo I used the stock setup but with modification. From the AFM on top of the air box there is a long hose, a short section of pipe and then a 90-degree hose that goes to the turbo inlet. The CT20 inlet is a smaller OD than the CT26. But on my truck that 90-degree hose is 2 pieces. Like a laminated construction. I pulled out the inner hose and trimmed it back because the outer hose fits nicely on the CT26. But you need that inner part for that short section of tube. I glued it back in with some silicone gasket maker.

Finally a custom made down pipe. I got a 180-degree U bend, 2.5" OD pipe with a fairly tight bend radius and chopped it into 2 90's. I had a flange made. I couldn't find one but I know they are out there. Mine is a rectangle with the four mounting holes and one 2.5" inch hole. With the flange on I put one 90 going straight down and then the other goes straight back. It has O2 sensor bung welded in just behind the flange.

For the exhaust I got a braided flex pipe to connect to the downpipe to take some stress off of it. From the flex pipe it is a straight piece of tube, a Super Turbo on end and that takes it over the axle and then a straight pipe with a downturn at the end.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
You can get an adapter plate, as mentioned above.
I don't think there is a huge performance gain, as the EFI on the toyota won't handle a boost increase without some major work - major work meaning replace the whole EFI, as the piggy-back systems are something of a band-aid.

I'd look for a good CT-20 on ebay... Screw TAP - do a search on TAP and see what their "customers" have to say about them.

I'd probably go t3/t4 with the adapter - although you'll have to do some research on which t3/t4 to get as these are setups that differ quite a bit between them. The t3/t4 will be rebuildable.. cheaply.

You're not going to get by with a $300 CT-20 unless you get really lucky and are willing to live with one with some age on it.

Don't buy from TAP. They regularly screw pirate members..

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Check out gotpropane.com Carry sales, turbo kits for his propane conversions, using a T-3, the turbo kit comes with an adapter and down pipe, I'm sure if you talked to him he would help out, and he really knows his shit.

Late
Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts