Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
This discussion has nothing to do with the Gwagen, but in any case, we get the G professional here, which is a utility vehicle, very close to my 1985. The only "refresh" has been to fit an emissions compliant engine and meet updated safety requirements. It's still a utility vehicle.

I'm not faulting the new jimny for being a carry over, I'm faulting the new interest in the jimny, which is the same package with a rebody. I'm pointing out the new box doesn't make what's inside more appealing than it was three years ago, where was the interest three years ago?

Suzuki forgot how to engineer live axle suspension after 1996, and never got their head around IFS. It's not a great product and a car doesn't deserve to be lusted after just because it exists, it needs to be a good car for the market it's being sold in. The Jimny platform is not as good as it's on paper specifications suggest - it's USP of having a chassis and live axles does not translate into an effective product because of its design comprimises.

Yes, it IS Easy for me to pick apart the Jimny because we have experience with them. You can use that critique to temper your enthusiasm for one stateside, or ignore it as you wish.

Yes, the Kei version makes lots of sense in it's market and that's how the car is engineered. As a recap, Kei limits vehicle width and length along with power and engine capacity, but lowers registration costs and critically, a Kei car can be purchased without having a designated parking space. Japanese streets are narrow and parking at a premium. Japanese manufacturers make Kei vehicles in every segment - from sports cars through to minivans and trucks. A Kei car makes no sense in most world markets, but that doesn't mean the wide version of a jimny makes sense either.

The widetrack versions for world market exist because of the whim of the US market buying the Samurai. It's not offset rims, its wider track width axles, smaller tire diameter, and an engine aligned with the world market. For years the world market engine wasn't more powerful than the Kei market engine, just less sophisticated, but now the gap has opened up a bit. The wheel arch openings aren't larger in the widetrack model, there's no more tire clearance. Jimny's don't suffer from tire/chassis clearance problems, the wheel openings and body structure limit tire size before that happens.

·
Roo skin seat covers
1,212 Posts
Actually ok for intended purpose

We've got them here.

I reviewed :emb: quite a few reviews, here's a decently in-depth review.

He's a motoring journo, so take it for what it is. There are a few cringey comments, but over all pretty good if you're after more info about them, and their abillities/disabillities.

Offroading starts at 31.50

Pause it at 41.23 --- water up near intake :laughing:

I like the little bugger.

Score for an off the showroom totally stock explorer: 3 nuts out of 3 nuts

·
Registered
256 Posts
the easiest way is adding all of our safety restrictions and it will have no problems!!

so back in the day, I found a way around all of this but it takes a long time and could cost a lot.

you can get one here for about 2 years and then the vehicle 'visa" expires and it must leave the country. The reason is, it will never pass our safety restrictions.

here is the workaround.

have it shipped in pieces, you can add all of them to an old frame. You can not ship all of it at once and in the same container. As customs might actually figure it out.

·
P.B.A.
4,325 Posts
the easiest way is adding all of our safety restrictions and it will have no problems!!

so back in the day, I found a way around all of this but it takes a long time and could cost a lot.

you can get one here for about 2 years and then the vehicle 'visa" expires and it must leave the country. The reason is, it will never pass our safety restrictions.

here is the workaround.

have it shipped in pieces, you can add all of them to an old frame. You can not ship all of it at once and in the same container. As customs might actually figure it out.
I had a friend doing that exact scheme and customs figured it out. And many dollars in lawyers later still no car. I think his biggest mistake was shipping too much of the car at once. I’d just wait 25 years.

·
Registered
256 Posts
but if you go this route. spread out the shipments, make sure they are in different containers... duh, ship to different names and different address.

·
today
1,567 Posts
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-suzuki-jimny-set-to-be-killed-off-in-europe/?fbclid=IwAR3voLZBWHYyTonRs_GbaFEfj6nE9-dzQ-TbDBUKDiVUNtTlQfUJW8p0Y5k

The Suzuki Jimny Is Set To Be Killed Off In Europe
Suzuki will be forced to cull the Jimny from its European range due to incoming emissions rules, although it's expected to return as a commercial vehicle

Suzuki - The Suzuki Jimny Is Set To Be Killed Off In Europe - News
Suzuki UK hasn’t been especially keen on selling the Jimny. The British intake of the retro-styled off-road workhorse has been deliberately restricted, as its low-powered, 1.5-litre naturally-aspirated inline-four belches out a hilarious 170g/km of C02 in automatic form.

That’s a higher emissions figure than a BMW M340i, to give some context, and the manual isn’t much better - it manages an unimpressive 154g/km. If Suzuki sells too many, it’ll screw up the firm’s average fleet emissions. Now, though, it seems Suzuki will go one step further, by removing it from the European range altogether.

Autocar India reported that European dealers have already been instructed to cease taking orders, although given that Jimny demand has so far outstripped supply considerably, there is still a waiting list of cars to work through. Suzuki UK confirmed in a statement that the vehicle will still be on sale this year “in very limited numbers,” although it will be removed from the range at some point next year. The company’s British arm said that it, “will make every effort to ensure delivery to its customers who have already placed an order”.

The move is all do to with incoming EU emissions laws, that will see heavy fines imposed on manufacturers unable to comply with a 95g/km fleet average. In response, Suzuki is moving to a fully electrified range, with all models to feature either a 12-volt or 48-volt mild hybrid system. The Jimny isn’t available with either setup.

It’s not all bad news, however. The car will return in a commercial guise, which means it’ll lose the rear seats (which aren’t much good for anyone other than small children anyway), but won’t be covered by the 95g/km rule. Suzuki UK hasn’t been able to confirm or deny if that version will make it here, but we’re crossing our fingers.

Plus, according to Autocar India’s sources, there are plans afoot to reintroduce the Jimny as a normal passenger car at a later date with a more frugal engine.

More Suzuki posts
13 comments
profile picture
You must be signed in to comment
Page 1 of 2
Jeff profile pictureJeff
Sad

7▲▼8 hours agoReply Lauge profile pictureLauge
Whaaat!? It’s such a lovely car!

6▲▼8 hours agoReply DL🏁 profile pictureDL🏁
Appreciate this is mostly to aerodynamic drag etc; but surely they could develop/fit a more efficient engine? Or add the mild hybrid set up from the Swift?
The demand for this thing has been crazy so that should cover any R&D spend.

5▲▼7 hours agoReply Wess profile pictureWess
What is the point of rumor articles like these? your source is Autocar India which has no source or statement from Suzuki. They’re literally just writing articles to meet their daily count and you’re copying them, not even creative enough to make up your own stories.

Meanwhile Autocar UK are reporting The Jimny will stay on sale with a statement from Suzuki…

2▲▼6 hours agoReply Matt Robinson profile pictureMatt Robinson Wess
The statement wasn’t available when the article was first written - it’s since been updated with elements of the statement plus some further insight from Suzuki UK. The car is only sale this year in very limited numbers (in the UK, haven’t been able to confirm the situation elsewhere in Europe) and will be removed from the range in 2021.

And articles like this that source other outlets are fairly normal practice across the industry. We try to have a balance between this, our own bespoke reporting/reviews etc. Only so much we can do with a very small editorial team.

0▲▼3 hours agoReply Fodor Robert profile pictureFodor Robert
It’s sad, but if they’ll manage to bring it back as a two seater, I’m more than ok with it. More space in the back for my dog.

0▲▼7 hours agoReply Dainius Dilba profile pictureDainius Dilba
“firm’s average fleet emissions” - no shit??? They have one year waiting list in Russia and Ukraine, because they don’t give a f*ck about emissions to be honest :))))

0▲▼7 hours agoReply miro817 profile picturemiro817
Well….the truth is that commercial vehicles are not regulated by this nonsense rule (yet)…Cannot wait for this to backfire massively…sadly, the politicians who forced this bs down our throats will not be held accountable for the economic and social downfalls that are undoubtedly on the way thanks to this rule. It is doing very little to fight the real causes of increased CO2 production (global consumerism) and as such deserves to fail.

0▲▼3 hours agoReply mad90 & Marl profile picturemad90 & Marl
This is one of 3-4 new cars that are actually exciting and outstanding. With this and the Audi TT gone the air gets thin…

0▲▼22 minutes agoReply BG004130 profile pictureBG004130
Fuск the eu

0▲▼8 minutes agoReply Volvo Leo profile pictureVolvo Leo BG004130
Excuse me

0▲▼5 minutes agoReply German Car fanboy profile pictureGerman Car fanboy
They should make a fully electric Jimny

21 - 28 of 28 Posts