Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just aquired an 85 SR5 4 Runner in pristine condition, and I have all these parts, just dont know how I want to set it up. I need input from u guys. I have (from the 83 I am parting out) two thirds with 4.88s and detroits, a 5.29 third with lockright, BRAND NEW 37 MTRs on 15x10 rims, a set of 32s on 15x7s, custom fronts made from 83 rears, and marlin hi steer and an IFS box. I am seriously questioning my judgement for thinkin of puttin 37s on a DD!! (But i have them, and it would look killer:D ) Would I be better off putting a set of 35s or 33s on and sellin the 37s, or maybe regearing to 5.29s (I am doubting this would help enough). I really dont want to cut this one up, so it would have to be lifted to clear the tires (or aftermarket fenders purchased that clear the tires). I also am hoping this 22re performs well enough to cruise comfortably on the highway at 80 without straining too much!!!

·
Registered
29,651 Posts
jslamerman said:
I also am hoping this 22re performs well enough to cruise comfortably on the highway at 80 without straining too much!!!
I hope you are SERIOUSLY not considering driving that as a DD in DFW traffic. :eek:
I drove my 87 EFI with Stock size tires as my DD and there were many days I was fighting to keep up with the flow on I-20 between 360, cooper, 820, and 35W....

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YUP!! I think it really depends on condition and tune of the motor as well. My buddys 85 was stock, with a Thorley header on 31s and it would cruise 80 no problem. In contrast, my previous ride, a 94 Xcab 4x4, would strain to do 75 on 32s. Gearing is also an issue. This is why I am asking. BTW, my 83 withits previous 22R,
Weber, Thorley header, cam and other tuning tricks would do 80 no problem on 35s and the above mentioned 4.88s. (I think the advertised 35 on the side was more like a true 33.5, and my 37s are more like, well...... 37s !! This worries me!):D

·
Registered
509 Posts
My 85 4runner's 22re is freashly built with the head ported, headers and exhaust on 31's currently, it does 70-80 fine.........but you are not going to enjoy that truck with 37's even if geared right on the freeway dailly.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, I just refuse to get into some engine swap nightmare, especially with a cherry showroom condition runner, that Id like to drive for a few years with some light wheeling before tearing it up. I have access to a 22ret a buddy rebuilt, but I think he went a little too far with it, cause even he yanked it out due to excessive EGT, caused by being in the turbo too much. I really dont wanna tear up a perfectly good runer in the name of big tire fitment. I shoulda purchased some 35s instead of 37s. Im gonna look into replacing these 37 MTRs with 35 MTRs. (and keep my 4.88s, and either put a header and cam in or bolt the 22ret in if I can get a good deal, and it doesnt require me to cut the stock harness

·
Registered
192 Posts
I`m assuming its a stick right? If thats the case, than why would you run 4.88s anyways? Yes they are stronger, but its going to be a DD, so that doesnt matter as much. If you choose to go with the 35 MTRs than 5.29s will return you close to stock RPMs. Thats your best bet for what you want to do with the truck. My old 88 with 31s could barely hit 85 down a hill, my 85 now tops out about 70, so dont expect great cruising with all the extra weight you are adding on. And to simply lift over the 37s would make you really tall, which again, on the highway, is not really what it seems you're going for. My two pennies.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My 85 Runner with 30k on rebuild 5.29 and 35" will do 75-80 all day aslong as there is no steep hills. I used to commute it to work everyday (before i got layed off) 50miles round trip no problem and about 18mpg. BTW it can probably go faster up hills but i dont wanna dog it. Just remember you see a hill coming gun it.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.