Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about going with the lifetime shafts I posted - but who has broken the ears on the alloy (4340) shafts??? I figure if no one has broken the ears (only the ujoints) I'll go with Warns. Thanks!!

·
4x4 Consultant
7,424 Posts
Originally posted by brector:
<STRONG>I was thinking about going with the lifetime shafts I posted - but who has broken the ears on the alloy (4340) shafts??? I figure if no one has broken the ears (only the ujoints) I'll go with Warns. Thanks!!</STRONG>
I have only broken the joints in my Warns...(2).....thats not to say the ears wont break as well if you dont stop in time after the joint lets go. In my opinion the after market axles only stop you form having to but new Spicer inners and outers for $200 a pop.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I might go for the lifetime warranty ones after all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Both my brother in law and I have broken the Warn shafts for the Dana 30. We both used the full circle clips. When the u-joints exploded, the ears expanded. Using the normal clips might keep this from happening. We both also had problems with Warn. They asked about our Jeeps ie. the engines and tires. Once they heard that we had a 401 and 360 with 35" and 36" tires, they said that we should have Dana 60 front ends. They said that they would warranty the shaft, but if we kept breaking them they would quit warrantying them. Of course, I got on the defensive saying hey you all advertise the "Lifetime Warranty". It ended up with both of us getting new shafts but Warn says that they will only warranty them if they deform from a u-joint failure. If they feel that they deformed from anything else they aren't covered. The scenerio I was given was if I drive on it after the u-joint broke. I have talked to some people who have never had a problem exchanging them, but I won't ever buy Warn shafts again.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Originally posted by Tommy:
<STRONG>Both my brother in law and I have broken the Warn shafts for the Dana 30. We both used the full circle clips. When the u-joints exploded, the ears expanded. Using the normal clips might keep this from happening. We both also had problems with Warn. They asked about our Jeeps ie. the engines and tires. Once they heard that we had a 401 and 360 with 35" and 36" tires, they said that we should have Dana 60 front ends. They said that they would warranty the shaft, but if we kept breaking them they would quit warrantying them. Of course, I got on the defensive saying hey you all advertise the "Lifetime Warranty". It ended up with both of us getting new shafts but Warn says that they will only warranty them if they deform from a u-joint failure. If they feel that they deformed from anything else they aren't covered. The scenerio I was given was if I drive on it after the u-joint broke. I have talked to some people who have never had a problem exchanging them, but I won't ever buy Warn shafts again.</STRONG>
As with most companies, if you read the warranty sheet that came with the axles, you will see the term "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty" which basically means that they have the right to deny you warranty as they see fit. And as far as the ears on the yoke, why should Warn warranty a shaft if the ujoint exploding was the cause of the failure. It most likely was not the axles fault, it is just the victim of the aftermath that follows the joint grenading.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Originally posted by Blackjack:
<STRONG>why should Warn warranty a shaft if the ujoint exploding was the cause of the failure. It most likely was not the axles fault, it is just the victim of the aftermath that follows the joint grenading.</STRONG>
I would totally agree EXCEPT that Warn themselves MADE that a warranty issue (IMHO) when they advertised their shafts as being superior BECAUSE they would survive a u joint failure. When they first came out, the big thing about these shafts is that the ears were supposed to survive a u joint failure because they had the elasticity to return to shape after the failure. This is the big point about these shafts which I remember when they first came out. Personally I don't believe it, but they said it themselves.

IMHO, for this reason they SHOULD warranty it for u joint failure PROVIDED that you stopped immediately after the failure and removed the shaft. If you continued driving on it, then they shouldn't be liable for that.

Just my 2c.

Chad

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I have deformed Warn High Strength outers, and Moser inners. Warn was pretty good until 3rd claim, they have in so many words, told me that the last set, may be the last set.
On a typical U joint breakage, with no extra stupidity involved, both Warn and the Mosers usually survive undamaged.
I also grenaded both the Moser and Warn, and splintered the spindle on Potato salad Hill earlier this summer. Vrooooom, vrooooom

·
Registered
643 Posts
If you are crawling they might survive. If you are in the throttle at all when the joint breaks just kiss that axle shaft good bye. They still break. Try em if you break em then upgrade. Thats what I did. Sure alot cheaper to try them then build a sixty. For some people they are the answer. Not for me though.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Of the major failures of the Warn Birf Kit that I have personally witnessed, 2 have destroyed the yokes or ears on the axles when the u-joint blew. I don't think it's real common, but it does happen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts