Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got um on and they welded on killer.. these are super beefey and use 16 3/8's bolts super thick steel rings. More specs to come.... oh yea 89 bucks a corner with all the hard ware..weld on yourself.

Mike

·
Registered
602 Posts
So you just gotta track down some steel wheels w/the right offset and cut off the outer rim/ring ? Then weld on eh? Then air down to 3 psi and floor it and jump the living shiot outta yo tuck cuz now that you got beadlocks you can do anything...right?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Stonyford said:
So you just gotta track down some steel wheels w/the right offset and cut off the outer rim/ring ? Then weld on eh? Then air down to 3 psi and floor it and jump the living shiot outta yo tuck cuz now that you got beadlocks you can do anything...right?
:confused:

·
Registered
781 Posts
This sounds cool so who is making them? What is the advantage,disadvantage over a beadlock with more bolts? Any testing? I know the competition is beating this price by $20.00bucks a corner and has more bolts on there sets. Any info would be helpful.:D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Alright, who's selling beadlocks for $69 a corner WITH all the hardware????

This setup can get away with less bolts is likely due to the thickness of the ring; it's not going to distort or crown, and will give even pressure all around.

·
Registered
781 Posts
cbassett said:
Alright, who's selling beadlocks for $69 a corner WITH all the hardware????

This setup can get away with less bolts is likely due to the thickness of the ring; it's not going to distort or crown, and will give even pressure all around.
Well Rockstomper of course. They are 70.00 a corner and his website tells it all. They are thick and have 32 bolts I think or 36.
Look for yourself. www.rockstomper.com

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ah, I thought they were $90 a corner. Plus, RockStomper's rings aren't this thick, and his rings suffer from crowning.
They are good rings, but these look hot too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Cool that is what I was asking for , advantages. That is a good design from the pics to eliminate crowning.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
I believe that the outer rim was left on. I think this was due to the thickness of the rings, which made not necessary to cut off the outer rim. I may be wrong, but that's what I remember from when they were doing it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ketchup Dog said:
I do know that rockstomper sells his DIY beadlocks for 80/corner. Im looking into that right now.
Scott
He now sells them with nylock nuts instead of nutserts, for $70 per wheel.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Scott's were 70 a corner before the first of the year. They are more now.

Snowball, are you sellin them? If not who is?

.../dan

·
Registered
384 Posts
i just tested my new rockstompers and they work just fine. i am very happy with them. to get past the crowning i installed a 9/16" wide 40" long fan belt around inside the ring of bolts to give it a similar compression backing ring. they crushed down somewhat but seems to be working just fine so far. the only issue i had was the valve stem. it points directly at the ring and has very little clearance for tire pressure reading and filling. i used some angled brass stems and they point perfectly. now the issue is they have a smaller air hole and the special valve stem for the equal does not fit into it. i installed them with regular valve cores and the equal has clogged up the valve and makes it really slow to air up or down. its just never done..........

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
kodak said:

Snowball, are you sellin them? If not who is?

.../dan
Yes he is, Bent and Twisted 4 Wheel Drive 530-342-3003

·
Registered
217 Posts
hip said:
i just tested my new rockstompers and they work just fine. i am very happy with them. to get past the crowning i installed a 9/16" wide 40" long fan belt around inside the ring of bolts to give it a similar compression backing ring. they crushed down somewhat but seems to be working just fine so far. the only issue i had was the valve stem. it points directly at the ring and has very little clearance for tire pressure reading and filling. i used some angled brass stems and they point perfectly. now the issue is they have a smaller air hole and the special valve stem for the equal does not fit into it. i installed them with regular valve cores and the equal has clogged up the valve and makes it really slow to air up or down. its just never done..........

I have seen a few people just weld up the old valve stem hole and drill a new one further inside the wheel for better access.

·
Registered
617 Posts
hip said:
I sent BillaVista an addendum of my expience for his article, he is eventually going to update it. Here it is, seeing as we are on the subject:

Earlier this year, Bill and I bought bead locks from RockStomper. Bill wrote an article about his experience, and mine was more or less the same, with the following additions/exceptions:

The Delivery Issue

As some of you may know, when our package of bead locks was delivered it had been dropped and one ring was damaged. I volunteered to take this one and sort it out with Scott and Rockstomper. The good news was that he immediately agreed that the bent ring was not my problem, and agreed to send me another one, after which he would try to get compensation back from UPS for the damaged package.

The 'bad' news was that in the end it took until February before I got that final ring. You could look at it as I ordered at the end of November and finally got my product mid February, but there were other circumstances surrounding the issue.

Basically when Scott said he would send a new ring to me, in the back of my mind I was thinking 'I'll never see that', not because I thought he wouldn't send it, but because things have a mysterious way of disappearing on their way to me. When this ring did not show up after 6 weeks, I called and he sent another one, this one registered so that we could somehow trace it. This one took forever, to the point where we actually put a trace on it because we thought is wasn't coming and it came the next day. If it didn't come at that point I would have couriered it myself. The problem with registered mail is that although you can trace it, it takes a week.

So lesson learned. Do I think they failed me by not sending it overnight? No. I think their obligation ended when they agreed to send the new ring at their own expense. Had I to do it over again, I would offered to pay to have it couriered – that is the only real way to have a traceable package sent. I do think the missed an opportunity to serve me better, but they are under no obligation to do so.

The Coning Issue

Anyone who reads Bill's story will see there is a lot in there about the coning of the outer ring. In order to prevent this, I put in a fan belt inside of the bolts to help prevent it. I used a 17405 fan belt, which I believe means it was 17 (mm?) wide, and 40.5 inches long. It fits perfect, and although it does not resolve the coning issue completely, I believe it does relieve it greatly, as well as providing a barrier against debris getting into the bolts. I think it would solve the issue completely if the belt were wider, but I got the widest one I could and it was not wide enough for SX swampers. For something with a normal sized bead, like a BFG or MTR, I think it would probably work fine.

I have to agree with Bill that the idea of evenly tourqueing these bolts down to 10 foot pounds is a joke. I got mine even at what I believe was abut 15 foot pounds, but that took about 6 ~ 8 go rounds with a small ratchet. Hands up anyone who even has a torque wrench that goes that low. It's basically impossible.

With nylocks it might be easier to tourque to 10 foot pounds.

My view, having done it, is that the coning is not really an issue, nor is the 'evenness' of the torque. As long as you get good load on all those 32 bolts, you will be fine. The fan belt helps from an aesthetic point of view, but in either case, I don't think that the side load on the bolts is one which ultimately effects their ability to hold the bead on or stay tight.

The Nutserts

The nutserts are a pain, but they may be the least objectionable solution available.

My basic problem with them is that they are aluminum, and just don't 'feel' right when you are tightening them. I buggered 2 of them when I was installing them, and did in two more when trying to get the ring started. Once they are in they work OK, but they always feel a little like they are stripping when you are tightening them. As it turned out, most of them were not, but it's just not a comfortable feeling right off.

What I found is that before installing the outer rings, you should get yourself several 3 inch bolts to go into the nut serts. These you can use to start the ring. I found that I screwed up 2 nutserts by trying to get the bolts that came with the rings started when they simply aren't long enough to start a thick bead like a swamper. Do yourself a favour, get the longer bolts, start the ring with the longer bolts, then switch to the regular ones when you get all 32 bolts started. I did this on my last 2 and they worked out fine, no nutserts destroyed.

When you are getting those longer bolts, also get yourself several nylock locking nuts to fit them. This is what I did, so if I destroyed a nutsert, I could just use one of the longer bolts, put a nylock on it, and I would then repair the nutsert next time I broke down the wheel. This will ease your mind, to have everything you need sitting there, and be prepared for a nutsert breakage ahead of time, because basically you just have to accept that a certain small percentage of these are going to break, and when they do, you cannot fix it without breaking the entire wheel apart. So be prepared and you will have fewer headaches.

The BBs

I also put BBs in my tires, and I can report the same effects as Bill. I put in 12 oz in each tire, just because my tires are notoriously hard to balance, and in my mind if the principal behind all this is correct, then a little more weight than necessary should simply distribute itself evenly around the tire.

My rig has never driven this well with swampers on it – not even when I first got it out of the balancing shop after getting my swampers mounted the first time. There is less vibration, less hopping, and significantly reduced flat spot effect. The BBS also redistribute themselves after I've been wheeling, whereas any fixed weight is going to potentially get moved, and/or will not adjust to changes in the wheel after wheeling.

BBs (or something similar) work, plain and simple.

·
Registered
217 Posts
kodak said:

.../dan

Not that this is the purpose of the thread, but just so I'm straight here(and because I can never get Scott on the phone), is the kit with nylocks now more? I got the following from his website today, and I don't think any of this was on his site previous to the first of this year.

At the time of order, please specify if you would like nutserts (threaded inserts that pop like a pop-rivet into the inner lock rings) or Nylock nuts with your beadlocks. Nylock nuts will require two wrenches during tire install, but will never vibrate loose, plus they cost less. Nutserts are easier to work with during tire installation, but are more expensive and more difficult to install.

15" hex-head-bolt beadlock kit, with Nylock nuts. are $70 per kit.

Rockstomper beadlocks start at $70 per lock kit, require welding for installation, and are simply designed to be the best and strongest beadlocks on the market.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The kit with the nylocks is LESS. The kit with the nutserts is MORE.

I HATE the nutserts, but if I had to do it over again, I'd still get them over the nylocks. Only because I'm a lazy bastard, and it's a big enough PITA to tighten those 128 bolts as it is, without having to get a wrench on the other side of them.

But that's just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts