1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I looked hard at the DIY kits, but decided the strength and finished look of the purchased rims was a plus....additionally, I ordered 2.5" backspacing rather than the stock 3.5".

My existing rims are trashed beyond belief from 2 years of abusive use....2 of them don't hold air because the outer beads are so ground down and bent up. Saw no point in weld-on locks for a set of already trashed rims.

I ended up ordering Allieds....but Frankie's seems like a great rim at a great price too.

reported price (unconfirmed and unsubstantiated and you can't hold me or him to it) is in the $170ish range for Frankies...no clue on sizes or whatnot, but I believe that includes your choice of backspacing.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He told me $165 each unpainted. You choose the back spacing, I'm going with 3". These are 15x10 with 6 on 5.5" pattern. Screaming deal, and he welds em up like a pro. I mean he is a pro!

Are Bobby's 32 bolt?

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Bobby long's beadlock info

His are 24 bolt.

Ok, so Frankie has the best beadlock deal....now I have to decide if I want to buy a whole new set of wheels(BLs with custom BS) or if I just want to do the wheel spacers (~$200) for a while. I have never had any bead problems, but I also haven't wheeled my 36's much.

One more question for you guys that have the beadlocks....does your spare have a beadlock?? Or is it just a regular wheel??

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I ordered 5 of the Allieds so the spare will be beadlocked.

I ordered thru a "group buy" from Allied and my locks were under the $165 price that Frankie has...but the lead time from Frankie will likely be quicker. There again, I'm in no real rush for mine, since my next ride isn't until the end of March. (too damn cold now)

IIRC, Allieds are 32 bolt as well.

IMO, you won't go wrong with either, and will find happy customers from both. I've stalled on beadlocks for a long time, parting with $800+ for them was not a half-hearted decision.

I also played with the spacer idea too....decided that was more junk to bolt down than it was worth. (for instance, bust a rear shaft, and that's 12 lug nuts to pull it out!)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a beadlocked spare, for the competitions time is everything. On the trail, well thats just a matter of $$$. My spotter replaced a cut tire on beadlocks in the same amount of time it took me to swap a broken inner axle, so on the trail with air it is very doable.

·
Registered
738 Posts
My opinion

One of my customers just ordered some beadlocks from a company we all know, not Longfield or the guy in this post.
When they arrived, we were dissapointed with the welds and the overall craftmanship. After further inspection we discovered that the homade Rockwell centers had the wrong bolt hole size and champfer. We mounted a tire and the rim leaked where the inner beadlock ring welds to the rim in three places. A spin on the balancer revealed a quarter inch of run out. Luckily, the owner of the company saw his way clear to refund the $175 per rim that my customer had paid.

I just ordered him a set of MRTs to replace the junk he had and was surprized to learn they have lowered their prices almost $80 per rim by eliminating the custom center charge and the special offset charge. Powdercoated 15"X10" 18 bolt beadlocks are now $169 any center, any offset, and they are top quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts