Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just went to get my jeep smogged today. Apparently the state of CA thinks more smog laws will help save the world. The new law is that the vehicle needs to run at under 2500 RPM while at 25 mph in 2nd gear. My jeep has 35" tires and 4.56 gears...which equates to about 2800 RPM. So, now my jeep cannot be smogged. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I was told the test is to be done at 25mph, but not that it had to be in 2nd. Ask around smog shops that might do the test in 3rd?

or see if you can borrow some other tires? (bigger I think...math escapes me at the moment.)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think the guy is fucked up. All of mine have been done 15mph in 2nd and 25mph in 3rd. I would agree there is an upper limit to the acceptable RPM for the test but not a lower RPM limit. I couldn't find anything on CA smog website either...yet.

Dik

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have called a few different shops now. All say the same thing. Law came into effect 01/01/12. I know there are MANY people with similar setup that are going to be having this issue. I'm going to call the CA BAR tomorrow (since they are on a "holiday" today) and see what they recommend. Though I'm sure the call will be a waste of my time.

·
Registered
973 Posts
So what do they do with an auto trans?
My question as well. I just had my tow rig smogged today on rollers and watched them do test, I did see the machine check for 25mph and rpms, but the tester never moved the shifter out of drive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
make a new shift knob that shows that 3rd gear is second? Then go to a place run by hindus or asians who wont know the difference.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
Also wonder how this works in trucks with a granny low first where second is like a normal 1st.

On that note maybe you could just relabel the shifter low-1-2 instead of 1-2-3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts