Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few issues with my current cage that need fixed so I thought this would be a good time to give the entire cage a re-design. Need some ideas. The first picture is how it is currently. The second pic is what I have messed around with in Photoshop. And the 3rd pic is just some ideas I've tossed around on the front grill area. I appreciate all your ideas. Drawings are helpful :)

Some of the issues: front tires rub big time on the front part of the slider bar. The top where the roof is going to go cuts off way too far foward. My melon is baking in the hot AZ sun. You can see where the head rest is on the seats and it's not even covered at all. The last thing is it just doesn't seem like a long enough design and the profile doesn't look right. I've tried to address all of these items on my design. I don't claim to be any kind of great cage designer, I've never even done it before. This is my first take at it. Let me know what you like or hate about it and if you have any good ideas. Not sure how to tie the back end in though. It has a dovetail now but I want to make it less extreme and have a slight taper to the rear. I plan to redo the rear end area. The gas tank sits right behind the seats and lower. Behind that is a closed compartment. I thought it was a decent size but it's really kinda small. Hopefully, making it longer and having less of a dovetail will allow me to make that closed area bigger so I can fit bigger stuff (like a cooler) and some gas cans or something. With all that stuff strapped down on the top, it bounces around like a MF on the trails.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to make a 3D view of the rear to show you what I was thinking. I know, it's very sloppy looking but this was a rush job.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Driver and passenger will have no leg room and pedals may not even fit if you slant back that much and plan on cutting the floor too. Move the front axle forward with 85 yota rear leafs (48 inches long, 7 inch offset pin). I am assuming you have a yj pack up front?

The sides might need some triangulation. You have a parallelogram, basically a box slanted back (towards the rear). Boxes are not as good as triangles. Boxes will fold over, while a triangle cannot collapse.

Try cutting off the entire rear, and make a b-hoop, kinda like the stock roll bar. Start it at the sliders go up and over the heads, down to the other slider. Then weld the front tubes to it, and rear tubes back to the rear.
Then you can run a piece front halfway up that hoop back down to the front of the slider (makes a triangle). Then do whatever you want from there, and add gussets.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
I hate to be that guy but it needs more triangulation. And its a bitch getting my cage to not a box was a pain in the ass, being that a sami is so small getting triangulation w/o bashing your head is hard. If it helps this is how i did mine and its holding up pretty good

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts