Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a SOLID ford D50; are the axle tubes the size of a D60 or D44, or do they taper like the axle shaft?

If they are D44 size does that mean that you couldn't use D50 inner and outer knucles to make a D60???

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
The tubes are the same as a 60. I don't fully understand the last question. I don't know what the difference is between the 250/350/450 though. I know that Currie uses F450 outers on his setups but don't know what the difference is or if there is one other than the 250 being single wheel not dually.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
one other thing if you get a 50 then just use a 60 rear to make a front.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The shafts neck down at the splines on the carrier side in a D50. The ring gear is also smaller than a D60. I don't remember all the numbers though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Knucles are the same. You can use them to make a D60 front. I hope to use these knuckles for a 9" hybrid 35 spliner. the cool thing is the spindle/hub
assembly is all one unit which makes it lighter, and not to mention a better scrub rdius than older style D60's. :)

Chad

·
Registered
545 Posts
The outers our the same. all you need is a D60 housing from a F450, inner axles, carrier and ring in pinion.:usa:

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
basically they are :rainbow:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Dana 50 has a 9" ring gear and 30 spline axles. Once they start making stuff like 35 spline axles, lockers, and lower gears it will rock but right now it's:rainbow:

·
Registered
540 Posts
That is exactly what i mean. Cut the knuckles of the D50 and weld them on a 9 inch. slap a 35 spline detroit with some 5:13's and run 35 spline axles. Lightweight and very strong. The only bad thig is the low pinion but shave the nine and now you have HUGE clearance. I agree they are :rainbow: but the parts are there to make a sweet setup.
Chad

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
D50 cost

The 99' and newer D50's run $1000-1300. They are sealed very nicely, and the shaft's should be rust free (except for the yokes). I also believe the u-joints are the HD spicer forged unit's. The long inner can be cut down and resplined, but the short inner is probably useless........Might work in a D44 though??? The axle tubes are 3.5" x 1/4" btw. My Tera60R centersection takes 3" tubing, so we'll just press the 3" DOM in the 3.5", at the yoke.

It's a sweet setup, and when Currie starts doing the 35 spline outers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts