Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Dana 44 housing a while back for my 99 TJ.
I now have the gears and a truetrac and a bearing and shim kit ready to install. Are there any mearuements of the housing I can take to help me?
I have set up rear end gears before and was hoping someone has a idea as to how much shim to start out with so I could save some time.

I have clearenced the pinion race and carrier bearing to make me some setup bearings. so It won't take a month of sundays.
This is the first time i've set up a dana. (I got spoiled seting up 9 inch Fords)

Here are the shims that came in the kit:

Pinion depth shims : .018 .015 .012(2) .010

Pinion preload shims : .012(3) .020(1) .019(2)

Carrier shims : .010(2) .012(4) .015(2) .020(2)
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you have a "new tooling" 44, use a pinion height shim, under the inner bearing. I start around .045", it's usually somewhere between that and .055". If you don't have access to that type shim, Toy 8" shims are the same. If it's a front axle, use a slinger as or with the shim. Also, your diff shims should be outboard of the diff bearings. If your master lit came with the inboard (under the bearing) shims, you'll need to get a setup kit for a Rubicon 44 to get what you need.
We do quite a few builds from empty housings for TJs since the factory housings are so reasonably priced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts