Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never having been a Ford guy, this enthusiasm is new to me. This summer I inquired about a snowplow I wanted, and ended up getting a package deal 1993 F350 crew cab with the 5 speed manual and 7.5l gas engine, and a 96 f250 standard cab plow truck holding the western snowplow that was the object I originally wanted for 500 bucks, the owner isn't mechanically inclined, and was replacing them for a business, I was was stoked to take them off his hands....the wife, not so much.

The value was there, but were not gonna be easy, since front wheels fell off both of em, but Iquick and dirty rebuilt the front of the 350 and drove it home. Working my way through the suspension and drivetrain one paycheck at a time... once that is all done and fresh I will plan on ARB lockers front and rear webasto thermo top c block heater (if you live somewhere cold check these out).

I wouldn't necessarily call this a build, more of a rebuild.

Presently wrapping up ball joints, poly bushings all round, new rancho shocks, and new steering box lower seal.

Once I have worked my way through the rest of the axles and joints it's getting a transmission and transfer case rebuild, new clutch and flywheel. Since it's an old leaky truck I will probably just yank the motor and do a complete gasket set and all new seals, hoses etc. Fun and still cheaper than a new truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's been awhile, but I finally got back to this post. Havent made the progress I had hoped for, but slow and steady. Here is the accomplishment list so far:

Clutch and brake master cylinders both blew out, so all new parts and brake lines there, ball joints done, all poly swaybar bushings installed, rancho 5000 series shocks, cleanout and gear oil change in rear end. All new fluids in xmission and xfer case.

New headlight and marker light housings, led headlight bulbs, tore apart the nonfunctioning multi switch and cleaned the contacts, and now all the signal lights work.

Mounted some old good shape used tires on the rims (by hand, roger Krause manual tire changers rock!)

Parts just came in to put a Redhead steering box on it and all new lines. Lots of little stuff, but like I keep telling my wife, "it's cheaper than a new truck" .....maybe. I always liked these old body style fords, and it checks all the boxes for me, so saving money isnt completely the point.

It's been an enjoyable project so far, hope it keeps moving in a good direction.

Gonna need a new winch bumper, I bent the heck out of this one pulling another truck out of the ditch. Had to put a Bubba rope around the frame and pull in reverse, it really tweaked the mounting brackets and bumper.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks great to me. I bought a 1994 F-350 4x4 460 auto CC few months ago with 94,000 miles. The truck has been beat on with it's farm life despite the miles. Needed brakes ASAP and some front end work. Now it's my tow rig.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks great to me. I bought a 1994 F-350 4x4 460 auto CC few months ago with 94,000 miles. The truck has been beat on with it's farm life despite the miles. Needed brakes ASAP and some front end work. Now it's my tow rig.
Nice! I wish this was a little lower mileage like that, but its 163,xxx with a broken speed sensor when I got it, so no idea on the actual. Threw a new sensor in it last summer, and was shocked it actually worked lol. This one needed just about every moving part on the axle and steering replaced. Not done yet, but getting there.

This one is a manual 5 speed, auto would be easier maybe for the wife to drive....my preference is a manual though. I was initially hesitant on the truck, but now with 4 kids in the house I have no idea why. All the good things of an SUV, plus a bed! B+W hide a hitch gooseneck and airbags on the way this summer. Onboard air is in the toolbox, just jave.to finish plumbing it in. Poly body bushings should be in here in a few days.

I always wanted to go through a truck completely from one end to the other I did that once 15 years ago on an '88 corolla, the old beater drove like a brand new car at 264k miles lol. Folks would make fun of it, I'd toss em the keys, then they'd offer to buy it.

The goal is just a HD mostly stock looking truck with way more than stock capabilities. With all the leaks fixed....I can easily see it being a 4-5 year project to reach my "vision" such as it is. I am rambling, just excited to get a little progress posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts