Pirate 4x4 banner

441 - 460 of 463 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Ford might as well set the next new trend in pickups and do a full forward control cabover pickup truck so you can just tilt the cab forward to work on the engine.

They sell the running driving chassis with no body through thier comercial lineup

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Its crazy to me that these transmissions work so well there is now a ~95% take rate on automated manuals in class 8 trucks.
That's not why... Its because you can throw any monkey in a truck and pay him poverty wages if he doesn't have to actually think to drive, control speeds on the downgrade, or match his rpms.

Look at who is buying the bulk of these trucks. The mega-carriers that hire anyone. The owner-operators are looking for 13- and 18-speed manuals.

I've driven Eatons and Volvos with 12 speed automated manuals, and Allisons with various speed automatics. While they can be nice in stop and go traffic, they suck at off-road and heavy haul. And you can't go down a hill with your left foot getting a sandal tan line in the windowsill.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Ford might as well set the next new trend in pickups and do a full forward control cabover pickup truck so you can just tilt the cab forward to work on the engine.
They sell the running driving chassis with no body through thier comercial lineup

There you go. Mount an M109 body on there, and you can look badass while having easy access to your supercharger for pulley changes.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've always thought those frames look pretty impressive. How is it they're never rated at more than 5k towing?
Because they put them in a motorhome and add 6' of 3x3 1/8" angle out the back to hold up the last 6 feet?

Aaron Z

·
Premium Member
14,254 Posts
Huh. That's kinda cool actually.

If you watch ebay there are accasionally ones that never sold or never built into motorhomes selling with 0 miles for around 10-15k

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
Whatevah makes the most torque at the crank is duh fastest herp durr!
blacktext, fgt

but you do raise a good point, as reduction gears are not something that trucks have at any point in the driveline. Direct drive from the flywheel to the road, right? That's why you need all them torks.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
blacktext, fgt

but you do raise a good point, as reduction gears are not something that trucks have at any point in the driveline. Direct drive from the flywheel to the road, right? That's why you need all them torks.
Sorry, that wasn't clear at all. I was trying to make fun of fullsizecherokee's love of diesels with 200 less hp.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
I like the return of the big block gasser but I’ll take the stock 6.7 with 540hp and 1120 ft lbs over even a blown gas 7.3.
I don’t like being one turn of the key away from a $25k repair bill that ford won’t cover because they claim contaminated fuel caused the CP4 to grenade and take out the motor. Diesels cost too much up front, too much to maintain and too much to feed now.

Similar shirt with dodge and GM. Just less frequent failure.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I wish Dodge would do some kind of large cube gasser like this. I guess I wish GM would, too, but they are determined to destroy themselves. I don't know how they sold more GMC+Chevy pickups than Ford and Dodge this last year.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
441 - 460 of 463 Posts