Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 463 Posts

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
What's funny is the 3.5 ecoboost makes only 5 less tq :confused: unless you get one of the fufu packages with the raptor engine then it's 450/510 :laughing:

Im surprised they don't offer a 5.0 ecoboost v8 for the superduty. Or heck even a 3.5 in an F250 would be pretty sweet.
And those 3.5's have a seriously flat torque curve.

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
I was pretty much right on the money :smokin:

TFL Truck interviewed the engineer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7m5GDNeac

HP: 430 @ 5500rpm
Tq: 475 @ 4000rpm with 400 torques available as low as 1500rpm
I'm only 43 seconds into the video, but did he just say that this motor is going to go under the hood of every super duty built?

So, Ford's not using any more diesels, or they're calling diesel trucks something other than super duty?

Anyway, continuing watching the vid, see if my answers are questioned.

Edit: He must mean it's available in every model...

So...reading it says it will have less horsepower in the 450 and 550s. Why?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
From my understanding after watching several vids on the topic, It will be the first optional engine after the 6.2 and under the 6.7 PSD.

·
Banned
69 Posts
What's funny is the 3.5 ecoboost makes only 5 less tq :confused: unless you get one of the fufu packages with the raptor engine then it's 450/510 :laughing:

Im surprised they don't offer a 5.0 ecoboost v8 for the superduty. Or heck even a 3.5 in an F250 would be pretty sweet.
Hybrid tech is a great way to get the torque you need. Sure it adds complexity, but it's not like it's a brand new, untested idea. For UPS, etc, it would be great. Save the brakes, could even go all electric in super short stop n go's.

OTR's will be all electric at some point, with swappable battery packs, and hopefully autonomous operation. Put some swerving, texting, lot lizzard patronizing, MF's into a real job.
And those 3.5's have a seriously flat torque curve.
Do we seriously have to go over this on PBB :confused:

Ecoboost is fine for the US market, which has it figuredo out. Your truck functions as a passenger vehicle on the weekdays, and a light truck on the weekend.

The concept is 'unstressed horsepower'.

The trucks the 7.3 is supposed to go into are expected to be stressed at or near capacity over the majority of their duty cycle. The engines are made of nearly the same materials, with the same capacities. The larger, less-stressed engine will laster longer under those conditions than the smaller engine. It's that simple.

It's why Ford put a 370 ci 385 block into dump trucks with wheezy heads but very thick cyclinder liners, and big hp 429 ci 385 blocks into Mustangs and Torinos.

You mention delivery: You think UPS/FedEX/etc haven't run the numbers? The Ford 300 I6 is more so than the 4.3 Chev made to be run at or near it's capacity, which is why they have a sterling reputation. But the fact is, those engines are run and built for UPS to be serviced in a regular R&R maintenance cycle which UPS, a company built on razor-margin logistics, has decided beats the advantages of fuel-saving technology.

You get away with a lot of shit in the passenger car category which won't cut it. The 7.3 was *properly* marketed to the F550 F650 platforms first because if not, it's just another Triton, Cummings, Duramax, LS, Modular perception.

These motors are not that, as explained by the Ford dudes.

EcoBoost otoh is perfect for the guy hauling boat/camper/rig on the weekend then he gets better gase mileage and good longevity for the majority of his driving.

Different app but the Unstressed thing is Gearhead 101 which is why I"m a bit surprised to see it even on GCC.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hybrid tech is a great way to get the torque you need. Sure it adds complexity, but it's not like it's a brand new, untested idea. For UPS, etc, it would be great. Save the brakes, could even go all electric in super short stop n go's.

OTR's will be all electric at some point, with swappable battery packs, and hopefully autonomous operation. Put some swerving, texting, lot lizzard patronizing, MF's into a real job.
the new explorer, and new aviator are available as a hybrid. Its basically a pancake motor and clutch sandwiched in between a standard gas engine and a standard 10 speed automatic, and allows hybrid or all electric operation. I don't know the specs on the explorer, but on the aviator, a 3.0 ecoboost with hybrid has over 600 ft/lbs of torque. If that technology were in this big v8, the diesel would die even faster then the world is trying to kill it.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts

Have you ever been behind the wheel of a tractor?

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
If you look at the current Mustang, from 302cid they are getting 420ft/lb. So if they are getting roughly the same power ratio per displacement, 445cid, I wouldn't be surprised they get 500+ ft/lbs out of it.

I think near 600 is a better estimate. It's not going to have the airflow as the Mustang engine so won't scale quite the same way...

700 is crazy talk.
and youre high :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,044 Posts
looks nice

·
gumboot cloggeroo
1,884 Posts
Link to article with the numbers for the f-250/350 and the less powerful motor that will go in the bigger trucks.

Why would the bigger trucks get less power? For more longevity? Are the 250s hopped up a little more for the brodozer crowd?

https://www.motor1.com/news/362862/2020-ford-f-series-engines/

A less-powerful, 350-hp version will also be available.
Earlier this year, Ford introduced an all-new engine option for the revamped 2020 Super Duty family of trucks. During the 2019 Chicago Auto Show, the Blue Oval was not ready to disclose the output numbers for the unit but now we finally have them. The 7.3-liter V8 gasoline motor produces up to 430 horsepower (320 kilowatts) at 5,500 rpm and “best-in-class” torque of 475 pound-feet (644 Newton-meters) available at 4,000 rpm. Featuring a proved overhead-valve architecture, the new V8 also uses a variable-displacement oil pump, extra-large main bearings, forged steel crankshaft, and piston cooling jets for better temperature management under heavy load.

Gallery: 2020 Ford F-Series Super Duty engines and transmissions
7.3-liter V8 for 2020 Ford Super Duty
14 Photos
In fact, the new engine will be available in two power output versions. The less powerful one has 350 hp (261 kW) and 468 lb-ft (635 Nm) of torque and will be standard on F-450 chassis cab, F-550, the new F-600, F-650, and F-750 Medium Duty trucks, as well as the F-53 and F-59 stripped chassis models and the upgraded E-Series. The 450-hp variant, in turn, will be available in F-250 and F-350 trucks, joining the already offered 6.2-liter V8 and 6.7-liter V8 diesel.

“The 7.3-liter is designed for maximum durability in the harshest environments given that our customers live and work in these conditions every day,” Joel Beltramo, Ford manager for gas V8 engines, comments. “This engine has the largest displacement in its class and is designed to provide benefits in key areas like power, durability, ease of maintenance, and total operating costs.”

The new 7.3-liter engine option will be mated to Ford’s new 10-speed automatic gearbox on all models, except the F-650 and F-750, which will carry on with the 6-speed heavy-duty auto.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
The chassis cab trucks always got less hp and torque than the regular trucks.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The 7.3-liter V8 gasoline motor produces up to 430 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and “best-in-class” torque of 475 pound-feet available at 4,000 rpm.
disappointing, Not surprised though. What did the chevy 8.1's put out?

·
Registered
463 Posts
340HP & 455FtLbs in its best year. The last pickup 6.8L V10 (2010) was doing 362HP & 457FtLbs. The current medium duty version of the 6.8L V10 that the new 7.3L is primarily aimed at replacing is rated at 320HP 460FtLbs.

Chevy's new 6.6L gasser, new for 2020 will be the main competition for this engine and is rated at 401HP & 466FtLbs.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Pretty abysmal in stock trim, it's like they weren't even trying. 340hp/455ft in a pickup. The LQQ 8.1 in MD trucks was a whopping 210hp/325ftlbs

The base 6.0 was in all trims was 300hp/360ftlbs

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
...Im surprised they don't offer a 5.0 ecoboost v8...
There may have been one designed and prototypes built for the mustang about 10 years ago. HP numbers may have been in the 800's. The economics of it may not have worked out and they may have mothballed it.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
“The 7.3-liter is designed for maximum durability in the harshest environments given that our customers live and work in these conditions every day,” Joel Beltramo, Ford manager for gas V8 engines, comments. “This engine has the largest displacement in its class and is designed to provide benefits in key areas like power, durability, ease of maintenance, and total operating costs.”

That's a nice way of saying "our diesels are getting too expensive, complex and unreliable" :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Pretty abysmal in stock trim, it's like they weren't even trying. 340hp/455ft in a pickup. The LQQ 8.1 in MD trucks was a whopping 210hp/325ftlbs

The base 6.0 was in all trims was 300hp/360ftlbs
Kinda of a funny situation, there are people in this thread who I don't believe are particularly ford fans that seemed pretty optimistic about it's torque potential. Ford of course letting us all down. Now we wait and see what the aftermarket can do to get it up where we all hoped it would be. I've got a buddy that just sold a duramax to be ready to buy one of these when they come out.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That's a nice way of saying "our diesels are getting too expensive, complex and unreliable" :laughing::laughing:
That is one of the main reasons I switched back to a gas powered truck after my 2006 Duramax wore out. I will definitely be in the market for one of these 7.3 trucks once I am done with my current 6.2 Superduty. Modern diesels are awesome when they are working correctly, but I don't want to deal with them when they aren't.

·
Non-Lemming
78,529 Posts
The chassis cab trucks always got less hp and torque than the regular trucks.
Similar to what you see in diesel motors. Many medium duty trucks can be had with lots of different power figures for the same basic diesel motor.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Kinda of a funny situation, there are people in this thread who I don't believe are particularly ford fans that seemed pretty optimistic about it's torque potential. Ford of course letting us all down. Now we wait and see what the aftermarket can do to get it up where we all hoped it would be. I've got a buddy that just sold a duramax to be ready to buy one of these when they come out.
IDK what people were expecting, it's a big dumb gasser.
2v, pfi, NA, 87pump gas.
11 bar bmep isn't too shabby considering it's architecture. I certainly wouldn't call it a letdown. IDK that there are a ton, if any, engines of the same basic design with a warranty that do/did any better.

121 - 140 of 463 Posts