Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
J ust wanted to say hey to everyone one--I am new to this forum, but an old IHC fan....I currently own a 1977 Terra that I am working to get on the trail-Just sold my old project-a caged out no body '84 K5 with 52's and 2.5 ton running gear..it will sure be nice to get back to my roots as I have had three Scout II's previous to the bowtie. My Terra has D44's on both ends, loaded w/4.10's, a 345ci, 727 trans and D20 tcase..someone before me installed a 2" body lift and some shackles that appear to be at least 6" long end to end, so I guess that's worth 3" of lift....My plan is to leave the springs under the axles, trim some sheetmetal to clear 35's, add chromo's all the way around and 4.88's +lockers....I have a 9000# winch to put on, and also have a full fiberglass
Traveler top w/ a rear seat for my kiddo's..I want it to be as all around capable as possible(even though I realize it will never go over some of the obstacles my monster buggy) and yet have room/comfort for the wifey and my kids--We wheel mainly at the Canadian river north of Amarillo,TX which has a good mix or terrian types...any tips would be most welcome on my build up, as I never really got to modify my other Scouts....Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
634 Posts
I am not siding with this guy but my shakles are 5" bolt to bolt, and 6" over all. They are perfect. Stock length shackles dont flex worth a shit in my opinion.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to the dark side----- That said I agree with Snoopy--- enter at your own risk. These guys can be brutal, but a butt kickin from Scout guys beats the crap outta the warm fuzzys from the Heep crowd. Keep us posted on your project and how it is going..

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Welcome.

Why didnt ya keep the 2.5s? Not looking for that level or performace anymore? OR are you looking at more of a duel purpose rig this time?

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the welcome....as to the question about the 2.5's--I have a
desire to get back to "simple" offroading...the big gun set up was cool and worked VERY well, but I discovered that the rig was too limited to just hard core rocks...it wasn't fun for my family and friends to stand around watching me, and the trails/obstacles that used to be a challenge were too easy..the main reason, however, is my kiddos and wife--I have a 2 year old girl and a 1 year old son. They were not allowed any comfort in the monster buggy and I would never attempt any hardcore lines with them in the rig,anyway...plus, most of the guys I wheel with don't have rigs set up to run with a rig like
my old one...That, and I couldn't play in the mud very much because of the way my old rig was set up....geared too low, exposed engine bay, lack of any kind of sheetmetal or glass....I figure the Terra will be as capable as I will actually need, yet be mild enough for my family to enjoy...more of an all around truck....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts