Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has an '03 F250 and he was going through a creek to go to a camp site and in the middle of the creek was a hole. He apparently hit it pretty hard and now there's a noise coming from the front right tire. It's a clicking noise - Years ago my other brothers '70 Chevy had problems with the hub engaging and this noise is very similar. I don't believe it's angry sparrows (U-joints); we took the wheel off and poked around a little bit but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. We rotated the wheel tire combo ALOT and the u-joint appears to be fine. I'm pretty sure it's the hub but just thought I'd ask the guys that know!

While on a brief test drive I noticed that when you turn left the noise gets louder and when you turn right the noise virtually goes away; basically when there is more leverage applied it gets louder. We tried engaging 4wd, while the hubs were on Auto, and the first time it didn't engage but when we tried the second time it did. Then as we were going around the circle at the end of his street it popped really loud (like a manual transmission does when it comes out of gear) and then kicked out of 4wd. I'm assuming this was because the hub disengaging?

Any thoughts, ideas? What does a new set of hubs cost? Can you buy manual only hubs or do you have to go with the Auto/Manual type that came on the truck. How hard to install the hubs, I'm pretty handy with a wrench and not afraid to get dirty - I've done all the work on my Jeep's (lift, Aussie install, etc.) so I'm sure I can do it just wondering how hard it is? It's still under warranty as well so he will probably go that route.

It's an '03 F250 XLT, Power Stroke and auto tranny if it matters. There are no modifications to the truck either.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Just take it to the dealer and tell them it's clicking and pick it up in a couple of days. Fixed.
Travis..

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL - unfortunately he called them and was informed the hubs are not under warranty. We'll probably just replace it ourselves.

Any other thoughts...

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
If the hubs on the 03 are the same as my 00 then it's a piece of cake, remove hub cap, remove retaining ring with pliers, pull hub out, push new hub in, install ring, install hub cap. I swaped one on my truck today in less time than it took me to type this. The auto hubs are spendy, you can replace the manuel/auto for the manuel only hubs but you will need to cap off the vacaum lines.

Brewchief:)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If the hubs on the 03 are the same as my 00 then it's a piece of cake, remove hub cap, remove retaining ring with pliers, pull hub out, push new hub in, install ring, install hub cap. I swaped one on my truck today in less time than it took me to type this. The auto hubs are spendy, you can replace the manuel/auto for the manuel only hubs but you will need to cap off the vacaum lines.

Brewchief:)
Perfect, that's what I'm looking for! Any idea who has the best price on the hubs; links would be great. I found this on ebay. $200 didn't sound bad for the auto one or is there something better?

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Thats the unit bearing, not the locking hub. I think that the hubs are in the $200 $250 range each or something like $150 $175 for a set of warn hubs, but the warns are manuel only

try part # 1c3z-3b396-cb
brewchief

1 - 6 of 6 Posts