Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Nick had a rear pinion bearing (GW 10") take him out this year. Loren had a broken t-case (Atlas) take him out. Both were weird breakages that I wouldn't necessarily say was something they could have prevented. I know each of these guys is hard on parts, but they seemed to stay within their limits better this KOH. Too bad they had parts failures as I felt each of them had a good chance at winning this year.

Marcos Gomez and Mike Bergman also lost their rear pinions due to bearing failures. I think all 3 are on Gearworks 10" 3rds. Knowing the top notch quality that Gearworks puts out, I think these guys are running enough HP now to require more upgrades such as the Tubeworks wide spread pinion support.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Incorrect.
My mistake. Appears to have been an Atlas case. When I was on the lakebed, I heard Loren's team say it was his transfer case that let go. I ASSumed it was a Hero like what another guy with a VERY similar car is running. Editing my last post for correctness. Apologies as I know you guys have a reputation to protect.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Nick had a rear pinion bearing (GW 10") take him out this year. Loren had a broken t-case (Atlas) take him out. Both were weird breakages that I wouldn't necessarily say was something they could have prevented. I know each of these guys is hard on parts, but they seemed to stay within their limits better this KOH. Too bad they had parts failures as I felt each of them had a good chance at winning this year.

Marcos Gomez and Mike Bergman also lost their rear pinions due to bearing failures. I think all 3 are on Gearworks 10" 3rds. Knowing the top notch quality that Gearworks puts out, I think these guys are running enough HP now to require more upgrades such as the Tubeworks wide spread pinion support.
How many of these rigs tried backdoor? I know Nelson did because I watched him ;). That climb is hard on rear ring and pinion....I don't care what you are running. These cars are heavy and when they slide back down because they didn't make the climb it shock loads the pinion. We weren't going to even attempt that climb because the risk versus reward was too great. Minimizing beating the shit out of your parts is the key to this race.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
How many of these rigs tried backdoor? I know Nelson did because I watched him ;). That climb is hard on rear ring and pinion....I don't care what you are running. These cars are heavy and when they slide back down because they didn't make the climb it shock loads the pinion. We weren't going to even attempt that climb because the risk versus reward was too great. Minimizing beating the shit out of your parts is the key to this race.
They all had to go up backdoor. I'm sure you know that and are asking how many attempted backdoor without a winch. Nelson did for sure about 3 times because I saw him too. I know Marcos Gomez winched it because I saw him winch the whole bottom obstacle. Bergman gave it 1 shot for about 5 seconds with none of the tires really hooking up at all, then winched. I would say Backdoor probably had little to no impact on the pinion failures for these guys. The fact they were bouncing up rocks at 1 point or another though, definitely supports your theory. All of these guys are also running some serious HP, which I think combined with shock loading of the drivetrain throughout the race makes a dangerous combo for the rear 3rds.

I also saw that Bryan Crofts lost a rear pinion bearing and swapped out rear 3rds the night before the race. His rig is front engine so his rear 3rd is running right side up. His car was 4 weeks old, so we know his stuff was new as well. This makes 4 that I know of that all lost their rear pinion bearings at some point during the KOH week.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
This is what looks like the "fix" for guys running 9" style 3rd members. Larger bearing and larger spread between bearings. Seems to have been common enough with the TT's that Tubeworks came up with this solution. Now that Ultra4 cars are seeing TT type of HP #'s, I think is why this has surfaced as well.

IMG_6834.jpg

·
Registered
528 Posts
My mistake. Appears to have been an Atlas case. When I was on the lakebed, I heard Loren's team say it was his transfer case that let go. I ASSumed it was a Hero like what another guy with a VERY similar car is running. Editing my last post for correctness. Apologies as I know you guys have a reputation to protect.
the 9901 did break a hero case though, it seized

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Randy Slawson also lost a rear end,
which took out his transfer case as well.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Randy Slawson also lost a rear end,
which took out his transfer case as well.
my understanding of his facespace post was both tcases were good, it was just misdiagnosed from the beginning and it was always the rearend

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
And to top it off .. Jeremy from GW broke his ankle or leg, rough week!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You'll see trophy trucks running the truck on the stands before starting the races, do ultra 4 guys do that to warm up the gear oil?

41 - 60 of 91 Posts