Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked out a trade for Jason's (SnortClown) 1st Bravo chassis after it changed hands a few times the week before KOH '10. I've made some changes to fit me and update it. This is going to be way out of the order of usual pirate build threads. I did whatever random thing I could when I didn't have money for parts or tube (which is a lot of the time) and I prefer body and paint work over fab work so it jumps around a lot.

Specs:
S&N Fab Bravo Chassis
4.3 Vortec (was already in it)
TH350
Atlas II 4.3
Custom front 60, 5.38's
Full Hydro
Cab and Chassis 14 bolt, 5.38's
16" ORI Struts
Corbeau Ultra's
39" sticky Krawlers
KMC beadlocks
Warn 9.5ti with synthetic rope

This is my first buggy and I am learning a lot as I go.

Coming off the trailer

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was some tweaked tube on the passenger side so I straightened it out first. I did brace below the jack before I put any pressure on, its just not in the pic.

straightened

One of the first things I noticed was the severe lack of leg room for me. I'm 6'1", so the cross bracing was cut out and replaced about 4" back.

Not the prettiest weld across the back there. Hopefully I'll figure out welding on a horizontal surface some day.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the majority of stuff to start making skins, hood, and grill so I did that.

The old cowl was beat up badly but I beat the hell out of it and was able to get it back into shape.

New hood ready for the final primer coat.

I'll get some more posted up tomorrow night. Its taking a lot longer than I expected to sort through pictures and remember/find the order I did stuff in.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Very nice. Some good memories with that car :smokin:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How far are you now on it? Hit me up when you're ready to start playing with the struts.
Looks good
Kelly
I am about 80% done I guess. I am ordering front axle parts now and I need a different TH350 or need to rebuild one of the ones I have. There is some plumbing work to do for brakes and fuel also.

I was originally planning to have it done to take down to KOH to do some wheeling/pit crew stuff but, I won't be able to make it this year so my new time line is just to have it done around Mid April.

I will let you know when I am ready to put some nitrogen in. I was hoping you would have some good guesstimates on where I should start with the pressures.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how can I tell what year 4.3 Vortec I have? It has CFD 2, GM 4.3LG, and 10224834 on the block. Ive been searching around a bit it sounds like it could have been in anything from 92-96.

I cut out the V shaped roof bar and made a new cross.

I put a hoop on the front, but I am having second thoughts on it.

Then started building a truss for my 14 bolt and used the old links that came with the chassis for mock up.

After I moved the seats back I realized I did not have enough head room so I dropped my seat but the passenger seat has to stay where it is to clear the transfer case. I have 4 inches of headroom now.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I borrowed a 60 (Thanks Nate) to get a general idea of where I was at and any potential clearance issues. I will have to make some changes to the front to get some up travel.

got some primer on the hood and grill.

made some new floor pieces. The tunnel piece came with the buggy. I will probably make a new one down the road but it will work for now.

I tried for quite a while to find someone to trade me for a passenger drop Atlas but had no luck so I will be running mine upside down.

Skins

I also cut out the old crossbar/rear shock mount.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The original belly was beat up pretty bad and all the link holes were stretched out. I decided to make a new one. The clearance difference is huge compared to the old one. There was originally no links separation at the chassis. Its now at 4" front and rear.

I put in a couple more supports and the upper link mounts in but I can't find a pic of it finished.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to replace the bearings in the 14 bolt. My buddy Nate hooked me up with a 14 bolt with new bearings to solve that problem. I just had to transfer them to the CAC dually hubs. Those inner C clips are a pain to get out. Then I was able to throw some new brakes on and paint it.

One more shot of the new belly mounted.

I was very happy to pick these up locally.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A friend made me a couple dimple dies so I went a little crazy with that. I realized after I finished that I didnt want holes under my seat. :homer:

Added some extra strength to the roof. I figured since the passenger side had been bent and straightened it was probably a good idea to beef it up.

I thought I had a good tranny that was supposed to be rebuilt but I found chunks of metal in the pan just before I was going to throw it in.

Another shot of some test fitting stuff. I am using a TH350 to NP208 adapter. I had to move one stud on the transfercase and about 2 minutes with a file to make everything line up. Vic from Advanced adapters hooked me up with the spud shaft I needed. Thanks Vic!

pic of the hole I had to file.

I started on a fuel tank. Nate made a cardboard template for a tank he made for his brothers bravo, that made life a lot easier. I think it will hold about 12 gallons.

·
Premium Member
5,012 Posts
I'd like to see the finished pic's of that tank.... maybe con you in to making one for me :smokin:

glad I didn't buy that chassis, sounds like it was actually pretty hashed. Good job with the resurrection :beer:

1 - 20 of 109 Posts