Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing up rebuilding front sas axle, possibly from an 84. It already had factory lower gusset. Installed longfields. Putting the manual hub on reveals that the axle shafts dont stick out far enough to allow the c-clip to fit on the end of the shaft. I have used a slide hammer try and pull them out further.( At request of factory tech) They do not move whatsoever. When performing the clearance of the inside of the knuckle, there never was any rubbing. I didn't have to grind anything away. Even now in all steering positions both sides rotate freely by hand without any issues. No binding. Any ideas? They also don't push in more than 1/16" if I try and push them back toward the diff.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
3/16 is quite a ways. You either have it assembled wrong or you have a QC issue with the birfs.
Tear it down and compare it to the stock one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to imagine a way it could be assembled wrong to add that much/any extra axle width.
There is a hole in the center of the axle shaft if that's what you're referring to.
Trying to imagine at this point worst case scenario if I leave the c-clip off. Seems like they are staying in the correct location without the clips.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
There are lockout housings that are different lengths. fj55 land cruisers and late model fj45's had them to allow use of long birfields. Measure the chrome piece length from face to face and confirm you have the correct ones. I will go measure a long chrome one I have in my yard. That sounds like about the difference you are encountering.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Here is a pic of both sides by side. Just to show the difference.I included a photo that shows the length of each. Maybe somebody swapped them onto your axle at some point? How long are the stock birfields you took out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
If the ifs vs mini truck lockout doesn't fix it, remove, disassemble and get at least 2 place measurements on all pieces. Research what the dimensions should be.

If you run it and it fucks up something else it will be your dime and time to get back to where you are today.

·
Registered
12,268 Posts
Oh Jesus christ, take thing apart and hold it next to the stock birfield. If it's shorter call trail gear, if it's the same, start looking for issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't realize there were different options for hub dimensions. Helpful. I will look at that first when I get back into the shop and then go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Oh Jesus christ, take thing apart and hold it next to the stock birfield. If it's shorter call trail gear, if it's the same, start looking for issues.
In my best drill Sergeant voice...
Spoons "OUT" :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
In my best drill Sergeant voice...
Spoons "OUT" :flipoff2:
+1 crack the fukker open, look around, find issue!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just wanting to update this thread to finish it out-
For sure it was an IFS hub that was the problem. The stock hub worked. And yes, it took me 11 months to get back to the shop and check.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts