Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the design phase of a new lru and i need your knowledge. i've built the first unit, it takes care of most of the round pattern applications. i'm trying to design this unit with the user and drivetrain length in mind. i'm hoping it will not require use of adapters for wheelers using it in something other than the standard round patterns. i would like to know which applications are most popular so i can work on designs of highest demand first. so please let me know what you would like to see. i will be keeping a tally on the replies. any input would be appreciated.
i have more pictures of other applications i will try posting them later. thanks, bboy

Attachments

· Registered
1,406 Posts
I have duel cases.... so you couldnt help me. but why dont you do a poll that will help you out much more than just asking for replies.

just my $0.02

· Registered
2,488 Posts
I wish somebody would just go ahead and design what a bunch of us would rather have, a 3-SPEED T-CASE. Put the doubler gear right in the same case. I know its probably tough to do as a slightly longer case might have to be designed, but whoever does it first, the world will beat a path to your door.

As for the original question, I personally would like to see it bolt up directly to the Bronco C4, eliminating the intermediate shaft and housing. But that's probably too small a niche market to justify the R&D.

· Registered
4,476 Posts
I think you're on the right path with the round patterns, such as the Dana 300. I suggest you start working on making it bolt up to NP 205s. Those are the guys that really need the reduction. My only other suggestion is to keep in cheaper than the Klune box, and you'll sell tons of 'em!

Good luck!

· Registered
5,436 Posts
Dusty said:
I wish somebody would just go ahead and design what a bunch of us would rather have, a 3-SPEED T-CASE. Put the doubler gear right in the same case. I know its probably tough to do as a slightly longer case might have to be designed, but whoever does it first, the world will beat a path to your door.

As for the original question, I personally would like to see it bolt up directly to the Bronco C4, eliminating the intermediate shaft and housing. But that's probably too small a niche market to justify the R&D.
This is a good idea: an Atlas killer? Build in a 2:1, 4:1, and use them both for an 8:1 reduction.

-OR-

How about this: make your GRB do 1:1 strait thru, 3:1 underdrive and 33% overdrive. If you could make this for under a grand then you would have customers lined up around the block. I would buy one right now.

What I'm getting at there is, be able to tap the market for those folks who still drive their junk to the trail. You need to let somebody either run crazy low ring & pinion gears and still have some highway speed left (overdrive) or keep their highway gears and still be able to crawl (super low).

-tom

· Registered
10,955 Posts
One of the big things I like about the Klune is theway you can change inputs and outpute patterns. A LOT of use run TH350's but TH350 205's are starting to get hard to find. TH400 are easier AND stronger input shaft. Make it so you can go from a TH350 27 spline tranny to a TH400.late 465 32 spline input and you wil have more market.

I'm a Parts slut. Let me know if you looking for reviews. :D

· Registered
25,026 Posts
Dusty said:
That would be really easy to do with planetaries.

· Registered
25,026 Posts
YJ4RoX said:
We definately need a Klune Alternative.
I've thought of a klune alternative based on New Venture parts. Just use the planetaries and input and output shafts from a NP231/241.

All you'd have to do is build a new box and modify the shifting. I think that if someone would do this in a "core" type buy it would be super cheap.

Think about it. You send in your NP231/241, so they take the input shaft and output shaft, cut it and modify it, maybe even send it to get heat treated, and use your planetaries, shift rail, etc... and put it all together in the case that they machine out.

The NP231/241 has so many parts that can interchange to a variety of transmissions, adapters, transmissin output shafts, etc from all different vehicles, whether it be jeep, dodge, ford, or GM.

For instance, if you could send in one or two cases from different trucks to use as the input shafts, pay $50-$100 a case at a junkyard, and have a brand new crawl box with a 2.7 low range.

I'm not sure how much it costs to have machining down, but I'm sure this method would be much cheaper than buying a $2000 KluneV.

I'm pretty much rambling here, but hopefully someone understands the point I'm trying to get across.

· Registered
6,132 Posts
TexasBlake said:

I've thought of a klune alternative based on New Venture parts. Just use the planetaries and input and output shafts from a NP231/241.

All you'd have to do is build a new box and modify the shifting. I think that if someone would do this in a "core" type buy it would be super cheap.

Think about it. You send in your NP231/241, so they take the input shaft and output shaft, cut it and modify it, maybe even send it to get heat treated, and use your planetaries, shift rail, etc... and put it all together in the case that they machine out.

The NP231/241 has so many parts that can interchange to a variety of transmissions, adapters, transmissin output shafts, etc from all different vehicles, whether it be jeep, dodge, ford, or GM.

For instance, if you could send in one or two cases from different trucks to use as the input shafts, pay $50-$100 a case at a junkyard, and have a brand new crawl box with a 2.7 low range.

I'm not sure how much it costs to have machining down, but I'm sure this method would be much cheaper than buying a $2000 KluneV.

I'm pretty much rambling here, but hopefully someone understands the point I'm trying to get across.
I follow what your saying. There is a guy in Canada, on the bc board i believe that has done exactly what your saying. Using the 231/241 planetaries and building a custom box. The machining costs ran the price up close to a Klune. It was less $$ but the strength was questionable. We all know a Klune is close to bullet proof. FWIW you can pick up a Klune for $16-1700 now.

Now if BBoy can produce a unit for closer to $1k he could take hold of the market and squeeze KLune.

Personally i would like to see a variety of reduction options. RIght now Klune shoppers are stuck with 2.72 or 4:1. I would like to see a ratio in the middle somewhere say a 3.3 or 3.4. With a 2.72 box i need a 4:1 in the tcase, driving the cost up even higher. With a 4:1 box and stock tcase i get the variety i need for the wheeling i do, but the torque multiplication from the 4:1 box will most likely blow up the d300. I would rather compromise with a 3.4ish ratio, to reduce the torque multiplication and get my ratio choices closer to what i need.

· Registered
399 Posts
i'm with landcroozer, it would be great to have a reduction and overdrive in the same unit. i don't know why one hasn't already been made? if you made one, i think it should also be strong enough for full size applications too. let me know when i can buy it:D

· Registered
1,514 Posts
LandCroozer said:

How about this: make your GRB do 1:1 strait thru, 3:1 underdrive and 33% overdrive. If you could make this for under a grand then you would have customers lined up around the block. I would buy one right now.

Do this. And make one that works with the Land Cruiser split case. :D

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.