Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm putting this thread together to document the details of my latest builds. Back in 2014 I put together a thread to follow along my first ever tube chassis build and it was great to get input from others and reflect back on the posted information years after the build. There was a good amount of detail in there and after using the thread as a referance a few times before, i know that i want to include even more detail in this one.

Old buggy details: Stock LQ4 chevy truck engine, 4L80e trans, 4 seat, 14b/d60, Atlas2 3.8:1, King coilovers / Tripple bypass shocks

Here is a link to previous thread TJ to Tube Buggy

Background: Over the years i've only got more and more addicted to building my own stuff and have always been striving to do more in house. The last tube chassis build was done in my 2 car garage over one winter slaving away to keep my wood burner going while i was trying to learn everything i needed to build my buggy. Insane hours on that cold concrete floor, just barely getting enough sleep to make it into work the next day.
Fast forward 7 years now and i've built myself some additional shop space with heated floor and acquired a lot more tools to be able to do an even better job this time around. I always knew that i would build another buggy one day. Hell as soon as i finished the last one, i had urges to build another because of the education that it provided. I have some good friends that come over to help with these projects on the weekends and can't express how much that means to me.

New buggy plans: Faster, trailing arms, rear mounted radiator, better coolers, did i mention faster

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt
Asphalt Automotive design Automotive tire Public space Art
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Gas
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Wood Floor
Food Smile Tableware Tire Muscle

Here is a little bit of a twist to this thread and probably not the most common thing to see. My buddy jason has decided that he's reached the end of the rope wheeling a full body JKU with a some buggies and is now ready for a buggy of his own. As you follow along in this thread, there will be photo's of 2 chassis because we are going to be building these buggies at the same time, in the same space. I'll try my best not to confuse things but i plan to document our journey, not specificly my buggy. These buggies will be similar but will not be the same.

The progress photo's that you see above were from Saturday November 27th 2021

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Last saturday we spent some time working on axles. I layed out my artec truss kit that has been sitting in the box for months and started slowly welding it to my 79 KP60.

Jason worked on stripping the brackets from his 14b and his SD60. I will say that the SD60 is a lot more work as it requires some of the casting to be removed. All of the axles i've worked on in the past didn't have any of that on them. It was a fight but we succeed. Although it did take all day and pushed his truss work into our next session, those things will happen. Hopfully the next update shows his TMR trusses all welded up. We hope to continue moving forward on the chassis stuff after christmas.

Some parts of this process are pretty miserable and not to gratifying after busting your butt all day. Others feel a lot more rewarding. However all of it still needs done to get to the end goal of those summer trail adventures.

Wheel Tread Font Automotive tire Wood
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades Wood
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today we finished all of the truss work work on the axles. While there is a long way to go, it's a great feeling to know that one piece of the puzzle has now been completed. Mentally it really helps to have small victorys along the way.

Christmas is 1 week away and progress will probably be slow with all of the holiday activities that will require our time. It seems that there are delays on just about every part that we need but we are trying to gather everything needed to start getting the axles linked up to the chassis, along with mounting the engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason and I worked on his buggy for a while this weekend. We got the engine placement figured out, added some tubes that will soon hold engine mounts, and got some overall design stuff moving in the right direction.

Now that the holidays are over, we can hopefully focus more on the tasks at hand. There is a long way to go on these buggies to have them ready for spring. One major factor right now is making sure all of the delayed parts are ordered so that we have a chance to get everything before spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stopped by Summit Racing this week and picked up some seats. Ordered the heating elements online to make them heated like my old buggy. It’s really a nice feature for those cold evening rides. It’s crazy how different a fresh set of seats feel in comparison to my old ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Pretty cool you guys are building them together.
Up sizing your pics will make them more visible, especially for people on phones.
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We spent friday evening and all day saturday working on Jason’s chassis. we made quite a bit of progress. Using my old buggy for measurement references on a lot of items has been helping us move forward without having all of the parts here yet.

After 6 months we have finally heard from advanced adapters about our transfer cases. They will be assembled and shipping out in the next week or so! Thats one puzzle piece that will allow us to focus on drivetrane mounts.

All of these “covid” shortages are really holding back some progress. My engine had been delayed yet another month. King shocks are on an 8-10 month delay. We’re looking other directions for shocks at this time.

Every tube or part added brings the excitement level up. Can’t wait for whats next.

*all of the pictures are being left small so you don’t have to scroll forever, all of them should be clickable tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Small steps today on Jason’s buggy, worked on a few tubes for the roof area, worked in the computer for a while to sort out how the back of the buggy will look. Then for the hubs and brakes apart from this 05+ SD 60 so that the lug pattern can be drilled out to 8x6.5 to match the rear 14b axle that it will be paired with.

Lots of parts expected to arrive this week, allowing us to accomplish a lot of “next steps”.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts