Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Introductions first, Eric from Lewiston, Idaho. My main play truck that consumed all my time and money was a 2001 ford lightning that was making about 15lbs of boost/420rwhp. I also had an 84 subaru wagon for getting around in the winter when the lightning was put away. Eventually I traded the subaru for this 1984 k20, originally a diesel but at some point swapped over to 350/400/208. The only crappy thing is didn't do my research, had no idea what to look for in a truck and I didn't realize I was getting a light duty with the semifloater. Anyways, the bed was trashed so one day I yarded it off and started welding on it. now I got the bug and have alot of plans when I can afford it.

Looks like it's an awesome group of hardcore guys here and I have A LOT to learn. So here's some pics and I'm gonna shutup and go color now before I ask any dumb questions...

Edited so you don't have to look at my blasphemous ford pictures anymore.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
No shit. That is a SCARY set of spring mounts, and so's the pitman arm. Holy shit. Tell me your in the far western part of Idaho.. I don't want you in any lane of any highway near enough to UT to kill my family.

There is a right way to do things, a different way, and a fucked-up, dangerous way. Guess which one you managed to select?

alright-- search for the right way to do it

--- and keep the 208 for the lower low.

·
Registered
127 Posts
yeah it's ghetto, but dangerous ghetto fabs is never a bad place to start haha. I do like that he is utilizing the magnent on the speaker to hold it in place haha :) reminds me of the rest of the build ;) honestly though man...once you clean up the scarry death trap parts I think you could have a cool lookin chevy haha.

stay safe chief

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
its a good start but definately take the advice above. every rig has a line between good day and OH SHIT! the width of that line varies with the amount of time you spend making shit safe for everyone including the other drivers on the road. the line on a stock rig- about a foot wide. the line on yours- pencil thin. welding cast iron is a reaaallllly bad idea on a steering component unless you happen to own a forge for pre-heat and slow cool down using the correct rod etc. you can make that splice section two inches thick and it's still gonna crack at the weld. you would have been better off using a raised steering arm or check my build thread for ideas on the front spring hangers from Kert at DIY4X and maybe go with a good quality cross over steering such as from Offroad Design. you appear to have some fab skills, the bed looks great (i might even borrow a few ideas from yours on my new bed design) and the front bumper is good too. put that much time into the important non bling parts of the build and your gonna have a killer rig that wont kill anyone.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the steering arm is super ghetto and I plan on going to crossover soon, like I said i have ALOT to learn and i have been keeping this thing off the highway. but what is wrong with the hangers? it's 3/8" plate welded all the way around with 7018 stick and 2" schedule 80 bracing between them, and i was thinking about running tubing from the bottom of the bumper to the face of the hanger so the whole thing would be tied together with the bumper/frame.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Really? you didn't know it had a SF axle? Did you consider looking at it?

As to the rest, I'm pretty much speechless, and nothig I can say that hasn't already been said.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
You really fucked up by posting a ford before your chevy :flipoff2:. If you got a real pitman are itd be 75% more appealing.

The spring hanger mounts I'd cut them off and call kert at diy4x. He should fix you up with the parts to correct that. Half way thru post #1 you were making decent ground. Aside from the ford. Post #2 you shit the bed lol

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
OY.

newbie.... go to the Newbie department and check in there.

they will be nice. we wont.

yer freakin me out dude.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You really fucked up by posting a ford before your chevy :flipoff2:. If you got a real pitman are itd be 75% more appealing.

The spring hanger mounts I'd cut them off and call kert at diy4x. He should fix you up with the parts to correct that. Half way thru post #1 you were making decent ground. Aside from the ford. Post #2 you shit the bed lol
lol guess i needed this reality check, I found the diy4x site acouple nights ago so i am starting to realize what and how i need to do things.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OY.

newbie.... go to the Newbie department and check in there.

they will be nice. we wont.

yer freakin me out dude.
sorry man im trying to learn, thats why I'm here...rip all you want, i used to do it to guys on the lightning forum.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
sorry man im trying to learn, thats why I'm here...rip all you want, i used to do it to guys on the lightning forum.
Thanks, but I think you might be better served by people that are nicer than some of us... the Newbie forum is a good place to learn.

this is a technical area, where critical thinking happens ONCE in a while... mostly, we bash on newbs.

Since we are the first one on the board, people like to put shit on here without reading the stickies at the top of the page (you know, where it says "Lets see your trucks").

Thats where you should have posted.

Your only addition to technical merit was to show how NOT to do it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
actually I did read that, and I posted pictures in that thread as well, but it's obviously just a picture thread and I didn't get all the great responses like im getting here...:flipoff2:...ha I'll head to the newb thread now. years from now when I have a legit truck I'll repost this thread so we can all look back and laugh.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Nobody is going to point out the butt welded pre bent corners on the bed cage? :shaking::shaking:

Remove that steering arm, and have someone repeatedly bash you over the head with it. Maybe you'll get smarter:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Wow, I just have to go on record and welcome you to the Chevy forum. Stick around. Usually, when someone comes on here with some ghetto fuckup, they spend the next three days defending their gargage, and then get all buthurt and are never heard from again.

You seem to have a good attitude, and actually some degree of skill(assuming you did the welding) You get points for execution, if not for design, and I'm sure that with a little guidance, that thing is going to be stellar. Refrain from posting what you have for a while, read a lot, and see what others are doing. Nothing wrong with not knowing something. Not learning is another matter.

As long as you keep up the good attitude, hell, even Grumpy will throw you a bone occasionally. He won't admit it, and he hates like hell for anyone to know it, but he generally cares and tries to be helpful, to those who are willing to learn.

On the other hand, if you already know everything, and think everyone is just out to get you, well, in that case, you wouldn't be far off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nobody is going to point out the butt welded pre bent corners on the bed cage? :shaking::shaking:

Remove that steering arm, and have someone repeatedly bash you over the head with it. Maybe you'll get smarter:flipoff2:
yup don't have a bender yet and I got those cheap, but i would bet they're still pretty strong with 3/32" root welded with dual shield. let me go roll it real quick and I'll report back with results. maybe I'll get merit for ghetto fab testing.

You guys got me convinced, I'll get a REAL drop pitman until I can do a crossover.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, I just have to go on record and welcome you to the Chevy forum. Stick around. Usually, when someone comes on here with some ghetto fuckup, they spend the next three days defending their gargage, and then get all buthurt and are never heard from again.

You seem to have a good attitude, and actually some degree of skill(assuming you did the welding) You get points for execution, if not for design, and I'm sure that with a little guidance, that thing is going to be stellar. Refrain from posting what you have for a while, read a lot, and see what others are doing. Nothing wrong with not knowing something. Not learning is another matter.

As long as you keep up the good attitude, hell, even Grumpy will throw you a bone occasionally. He won't admit it, and he hates like hell for anyone to know it, but he generally tries to be helpful, to those who are willing to learn.

On the other hand, if you already know everything, and think everyone is just out to get you, well, in that case, you wouldn't be far off.
thanks man, I try to use the search function before I ask anything dumb, and obviously I know now welding the pitman was a dipshit move BUT i did preheat and welded it with dual shield and it has held up acouple months driving to school once a week, but i will swap it out soon.

I'm in my 3rd semester of an associate welding program, my main focus is TIG and stick pipe welding so i know my welds are decent. I just wanted to say hi in the chevy forum so I wasn't a total stranger on the classifieds, my 208 is messed up and my buddy has a good 205 to put in i just need the adapter.

thanks again, i don't take this personal and i have been on the lightning and powerstroke forums for years so i know how it goes. hopefully this beating was more like an initiation...but i have to say it's the most brutal one I have taken online! :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 161 Posts