Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey how's it goin everybody?? an online friend on a RC crawler forum sent me here to find some info about my runners. right now i have 4 of them. i have an 85(rolled), an 86(rolled), an 87 turbo(engine apart), and an 89 V6(daily driver). my plans as of now are to take the 85's crashed body and twisted rear leafs and whatever else thats broke and put the body and motor from the 87 turbo. i'd probly use one of the other motors till i finish the turbo thu. the 85 has skyjacker softride 5" lifted leafs on it and i have the dual shock loops and shocks for the front. i never got them on before the crash. i also have the dual setup for the rear also not on yet. but since the rear leafs got mangled anyway i wanted to do a link setup on the rear. i see the 3link setup on the home page and like the design alot. does anyone know of any place that sells some type of link kit for the toyotas?? cuting/welding/fabbing are not a problem but i would really not prefer to have to go threw all the trial and error of doin it from scratch as i've never done anything like this before.

i live in south Florida and mostly drive in swamp land but thats just sharp coral rock covered in soup mudd. LOL i'm not really lookin for the flex of a crawler but would like more then i get from the leafs. i run 35" ground hawgs for offroad and mud and run a set of 33's on the street. i plan on lifting more and know that 5" isn't enuf for the 35's. my 86 is lifted 8" and has the hawgs on it but i rolled that one too and it's a parts truck now too. frames good and everything is all good but it's all bent up. LOL i'll post some pics of my trucks and my VW sandrail as soon as i get them up somewhere and linked to here. LOL

glad to join your group and hopefully will make some friends and learn alot since i don't know much of anything right now. LOL oh and money isn't my friend. LOL i work in a specialized field and have limited work :mad3: but make decent money at it when the jobs are there. my projects are kinda on hold do to the lack of funds and my lazyness to do the work i can do on the trucks without spending anything. also when i finally get one truck together out of the three i have then the left overs will be avalible. :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Man you should of been a writter! What a novel. Ive got an idea:idea:, run for cover.

Welcome NOOBIE! Let the replies begin

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought i was long winded on my last post but you topped me here, to much info off the bat its not a dating game. Welcome and good luck. they might get nasty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok guy's i guess i'll keep my posts short and simple then. LOL and i guess my pics didn't link up right. i'll try them again somewhere else. :flipoff2: thanks for the warm welcome sofar. LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
WTF is a PBB noobie, is that your holloween costume :confused:

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Canadian Xtoys said:
WTF is a PBB noobie, is that your holloween costume :confused:
I wouldnt question a veterian. He did mean newbie, by the way, is actually what you are.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
shagrat69 said:
ok guy's i guess i'll keep my posts short and simple then. LOL and i guess my pics didn't link up right. i'll try them again somewhere else. :flipoff2: thanks for the warm welcome sofar. LOL
Donate $20 to get your RED STAR and help suport the Board, and you will have no probles posting pic's....

Oh and Welcome to PBB :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome Shag! From your posts on clodtalk I'd immagine you'll fit right in here on Pirate4x4! :smokin:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
I bought a tri-cycle, and the tire was flat :flipoff2:

·
Registered
303 Posts
That sucks crash mine had bent forks and bad cantilever brakes!!!! It was bullshit. Shagrat, If welding and fab is not a problem then why dont you ask for a few measurements from some board members and save a thousand dollars worth of someone elses thinking???? A good place to look is the vendor forum because they are here to help us. You can find anything there from calipers to 3link to ratchet wrenches and maybe even :beer: Its a good place and your in good hands so search and research and you will find.

And you have been welcomed very warmly, much more so than my first question in this forum :flipoff2: By the way you should sell me one of your Runners cheap

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
hey thanks for the help sofar guy's and glad to see some CT guy's here too.

i don't mind doin some cutin/weldin/fabin if i have to to mount a kit on. the truth is i don't trust myself enuf to risk me and my family's life on making my own setup. make's $1000 seem alittle more worth while. not that i have ANY money to spend on it right now anyway. LOL. BUT with the mass of knowledge and talent i see sofar on this site, i just might be able to make the parts and have them welded by someone else i trust. it will mostly depend on which way the money flows. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
shagrat69 said:
i live in south Florida and mostly drive in swamp land but thats just sharp coral rock covered in soup mudd. LOL i'm not really lookin for the flex of a crawler but would like more then i get from the leafs. i run 35" ground hawgs for offroad and mud and run a set of 33's on the street. i plan on lifting more and know that 5" isn't enuf for the 35's. my 86 is lifted 8" and has the hawgs on it but i rolled that one too and it's a parts truck now too. frames good and everything is all good but it's all bent up. LOL i'll post some pics of my trucks and my VW sandrail as soon as i get them up somewhere and linked to here. LOL
5" is more then enough lift for 35s, especialy for your 35 hawgs wich are more like 33's,,8" on the other hand is way to much....

·
Registered
236 Posts
8 inch lift and rolled wow I wonder how that happened (sarcasm here)

your building for mud running aren't you?

why not cut the fenders run the 5 inch lift
switch to crossover steering and redrill your axel perches to move it forward take a hammer to your fender well at the firewall area and get some 38X15.5X15 swampers. there are guys on here running 38's with 5 inches of lift and lots of trimming.

your probably still running the stock Ifs suspension too aren't you.

most of the wheelers here run in the rocks and build accordingly

you want stiff springs in the mud and wheel speed to clear the tires out
and the extra clearance helps you stay above the mud.

I have a total of 5.5 inches of lift at the moment and clear 35's with minimal scrubbing.

I am cutting that down to 3.5 inches and moving the axel forward and doing a little trimming. I run 35X15.5X15 swampers on 10 inch wide rims. with lockers front and rear and 4:88 gearing. and with the 4cyl it just wouldn't clear the tires in the mud.

but with the 200+hp v6 and 4:56 gears it clears them really well
mud running is totally different from rocks in almost every way :shaking:
so to get advice about mud from a rock board might not be your best bet. and since there ain't a whole lot of rocks to climb on in FL.

and yes I have wheeled in the mud in florida and louisianna too they both have completely different mud from NC but so does georgia and kentucky.

so what I am saying is that you should seek advice from those in your area building rigs for the mud and see what they are doing. because most wheelers I know, after experiencing it and all the clean up time and or the damage it does, cringe when you say mud.

go to www.google.com and search florida mud trucks
http://powerproracingproducts.com/links.html
are you tired of reading yet cause I'm tired of writing.
I tried to make it as long of a post as I could just for you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts