Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I found a picture of the complete elsorv on ako. It has the turrent and lot of other stuff with the v bottom hull.

Holy SH*T look at the anchor on the front of that thing... It would make for a bad day to have something hit that cross member at speed...:eek:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll take the new M-ATV any day over the ELSORV. It's got much better armor and the drive train to support it. It's based off the USMC 7 ton truck!

Check out the video:
M-ATV / VIDEO

·
Registered
503 Posts
The M-ATV and the ELSORV are for completely different missions. The M-ATV is a MRAP for Afganistan. The M-ATV an armored vehicle hardened to counter act mine and IED's but with the idea to keep it smaller and lighter for afganistan's terrain. Yes I know it weighs 13,000 lbs, but its still light compared to a Buffalo. AP rounds aren't really a concern for them unless they are coming out of a 20mm or 25mm barrel. The big achilles heal in all of the Mine Resistant vehicles is EFP's (explosively formed projectiles) pretty mucha slug of molten copper that cuts right through the armor. Luckily the enemy in Afghanistan is eons behind their iraqi brethren in terms of IED technology

Personally while the idea is wicked cool and I would have loved to work on the ELSORV I don't really see how it will fit into the TTP's. Face it, Rock crawling just isn't an efficient use. Its slow ( even slower than on foot sometimes) and its not stealthy. Yes it has a much high payload that a ruck. That said it may see limited operation as a scout vehicle but it will never see the widespread use of the MRAP or M-ATV. I foresee afganistan ending up with foot operations being used for stealth purposes in rough terrain and Helicopters when stealth isn't needed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I work ona marine base hear in GA. We build some Mraps and about a 100 humvees a month. I`ve heard talk of this thing but, seriously dought its gonna go into full blown production just due to the fact that they love the MRAP. Its saving lives. We are always working on upgrading the armor on these things. Bad thing about an MRAP is several companies had a hand in building them and the wiring is fucked up for mech working on them. One company may have put red wire for a gauge and the next a blue. Makes for some aggravating troubleshooting. By the way for anyone who thinks hummers are cool. They fucking suck. I hate driving the slow gutless basterds. Now if they had Duramaxes in them that would be dif. Which I have heard that could be coming down the pipe.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Oh yeah, my taxes just went up again
Hell, our 3.4% raise will cost the tax payers some where in the ball park of 80 billion... That is this much:

$80,000,000,000!!!! :eek:

That is only an extra $142 a month for someone like me. Better than nothing, dont get me wrong...

So 5,200 M-ATVs will cost a measly 2.4 Billion... peanuts...

Money is crazy when it comes to the government....

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
The M-ATV and the ELSORV are for completely different missions. The M-ATV is a MRAP for Afganistan. The M-ATV an armored vehicle hardened to counter act mine and IED's but with the idea to keep it smaller and lighter for afganistan's terrain. Yes I know it weighs 13,000 lbs[\b], but its still light compared to a Buffalo. AP rounds aren't really a concern for them unless they are coming out of a 20mm or 25mm barrel. The big achilles heal in all of the Mine Resistant vehicles is EFP's (explosively formed projectiles) pretty mucha slug of molten copper that cuts right through the armor. Luckily the enemy in Afghanistan is eons behind their iraqi brethren in terms of IED technology

If you are referring to Oshkosh's M-ATV, it is nearly 25,000lbs with GFE, which is just under 2,000 lbs...

I work ona marine base hear in GA. We build some Mraps and about a 100 humvees a month. I`ve heard talk of this thing but, seriously dought its gonna go into full blown production just due to the fact that they love the MRAP. Its saving lives. We are always working on upgrading the armor on these things. .
i agree with you on this. it was never intended for HUGE production numbers on the order of MRAP. it was intended to be a recon vehicle of sorts....

Bad thing about an MRAP is several companies had a hand in building them and the wiring is fucked up for mech working on them. One company may have put red wire for a gauge and the next a blue. Makes for some aggravating troubleshooting.
Four companies to be exact(Force Protection, International Military & Govt, BAE Systems: US Ground Combat Systems, and BAE Systems: Global Tactical Systems). To really confuse you, all of our harness wires are white and all pneumatic lines are black... try trouble shooting that one... :laughing:

Had this not been an URGENT NEED program, multiple suppliers would have never happened. Even still, the military has learned their lesson (somewhat) and hence the single source on M-ATV.

By the way for anyone who thinks hummers are cool. They fucking suck. I hate driving the slow gutless basterds. Now if they had Duramaxes in them that would be dif. Which I have heard that could be coming down the pipe.
Doubt you will see integration of D-Max into the Hummer. JLTV is intended to fill that roll (though i see that one getting canceled due to production not slated until late 2013). Hummers are only slow and gutless once up-armored. common problem with all vehicles...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've seen a few of these around here in NV...I heard they used one of our ranges around Fallon for testing....of course, I wasn't on the range that day:shaking:

·
Registered
152 Posts
One of the problems they’re having (in the current vehicles) is when a mine blows up, the vehicle accelerates so fast upwards that its breaking the backs of the passengers. The military is working on that.
Suspension seats??

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Suspension seats??
Not sure what they're going to come up with. I know one of the owners at the machine shop that was machining a block of aluminum, something like 4'x4', for the machine that was being made to simulate the acceleration rates of the blasts so they could do some R&D. Pretty crazy stuff :eek:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Got some after pics of the roll over... Someone told me it drove back to the motor pool, uh, no....

All the kings were broken...:(

BTW, none of the grade 5 bolts that mount the kings were even bent????

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
Wow.

That makes me wonder how good the designer actually was for the links. Maybe they should have gotten a little more help from the guys that know......

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
with broken links and floppy axles the shocks have no chance.

you know, if those were grade 8s they would have broken before they bent :flipoff2:

101 - 120 of 133 Posts