Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The first thing I thought when I saw this vehicle for the first time was wow, those links look small... Maybe they are thick walled or solid stock... Guess not. The lowers on the front had an elbow with some plate welded into the bend. That did not last long, needless to say... Its the little things, ya know? I need to find out what 5 points they were using. Rumor has it that not one, but two failed. It should be stated that rumor had it driving back to the motor pool as well, but, none the less, I wont purchase what ever brand of 5 point it has...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Guess everything has its teething problems.

Suspension might be ok if it weren't for the extra weight of the armor, maybe someone forgot to factor that in

I missed it if anybody posted the GVW on these things...

Wonder how fast the rig was going when that rollover occured...

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Wonder how fast the rig was going when that rollover occured...
60ish

From everyone else I have spoken with that was in the course, it only lasted the one day, the vehicle rode and handled very well. One of the guys is in my platoon, and he was saying he jumped it a couple times and was going in excess of 70mph on multiple occasions over the same terrain. This is from a guy that has never even thought of driving a vehicle offroad. He said it soaked up the bumps, was like nothing he had ever driven. Of course, he drives a civic... LOL

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Care to tell us which brand was used?
I will check and post up... Keep in mind, I have yet to talk to the actual passenger whose harness was said to have failed... He very well could have 'failed' himself... Before I post anything regarding the harness, I will have to get the real story. Just so I don't post any, unwarranted, bad publicity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SRATS for marine corp

The truck you have pictured here is a S.R.A.T.S. It is a new light armored vehicle the mairine corp is testing. It is small enough to be helicopter lifted and innexpensive enough to leave behind. Made in Michigan.

The Am General (HMMWV Guys) chassis is on a truck called the Cobra. It has an AMG chassis, engine, trans with a v-hull 6 man enclosed hull. Cobra is made in Turkey by Otokar. AMG sells the platform in the US. pictures are available on Wikipedia. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The truck you have pictured here is a S.R.A.T.S. It is a new light armored vehicle the mairine corp is testing. It is small enough to be helicopter lifted and innexpensive enough to leave behind. Made in Michigan.

The Am General (HMMWV Guys) chassis is on a truck called the Cobra. It has an AMG chassis, engine, trans with a v-hull 6 man enclosed hull. Cobra is made in Turkey by Otokar. AMG sells the platform in the US. pictures are available on Wikipedia. hope this helps.
helicoptor transportable? not sure how heavy helicoptors can lift, but the CH-47 and CH53 can carry a m1083A1 (5 Ton) at about 20klbs empty...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
defense-update.com said:
As an automotive platform designed for mobility in extreme conditions, SRATS combine commercial 'rock crawlers' and sand rail technologies, enabling near vertical rock climbing or rubble field traverse (maximum grade climb of 80%)
The government is claiming to climb 80% grades, where are the guys saying only 50-60 is possible :flipoff2:

pretty cool clip of the prototypes, it'd be cool to see one in KOH looks like it handles well at speed in the last part of the video.
LiveLeak.com - SRATS - Specialized Reconnaissance Assault and Transport System

Another informative one
YouTube - Test Srats Elsorv

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The government is claiming to climb 80% grades, where are the guys saying only 50-60 is possible :flipoff2:...
There is a BIG difference between 80% and 80°. An 80% grade is about 39°.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are the strips on the side at the back strips of e-track?

How useful do you suppose e-track might be on the side or roof? This is the first example I've seen of it on a vehicle.

Thanks,
Chris

121 - 133 of 133 Posts