Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a link to the sale thread here on the board. This can be a thread used for discussion between PBB members about brake controllers in general or the new P3 in particular.

LINK

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
For the average dude who tows car trailer/toy hauler and already has a prodigy, what is the major advantage of the new controller? I have zero complaints with my prodigy and the proportional seems near seemless.....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
For the average dude who tows car trailer/toy hauler and already has a prodigy, what is the major advantage of the new controller? I have zero complaints with my prodigy and the proportional seems near seemless.....
I agree.

I was wondering why I would want to get rid of my prodigy for this new unit other than the cool display.
Talk me into it Trailer Guy. And answer my damn PM I sent you..... Please

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I was looking at last weekend.
The screen give better warning/promts, and just looks better to me.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree.

I was wondering why I would want to get rid of my prodigy for this new unit other than the cool display.
Talk me into it Trailer Guy. And answer my damn PM I sent you..... Please
Man, I'm sorry. I just sent one to you and I'm looking right now to get you an answer on the greaseless ball.

I was looking at last weekend.
The screen give better warning/promts, and just looks better to me.
This is correct. Rather than just a small screen with a couple numbers or letters this is a much larger screen with actual words. You can also customize the LCD screen with different background colors so that it is easy to see depending on the interior color of your rig. Also depending on the angle and mounting location, you can also change the contrast to make it easier to read. For those of us (those of you) that can speak more than one language, there are three different language options as well. All the buttons are on the front face, so there are no dials or buttons on the top of the controller to try and get to. This is great for trying to mount the brake control up against the dash because you can get it closer since you don't have buttons on top. The P3 allows the user to select between standard electric brakes or electric over hydraulic brakes that are getting to be more popular on boat trailers. The read out can be switched between output current, battery/brake/output voltage. The warning system flashes a very bright red screen with the problem on the screen (ie: no trailer connection, short/overload on brake system), and yes, it will get your attention, I have personal experience with the warning system. Instead of a the boost done on a number system, it actually has a picture of a truck with the different size trailers on it. The P3 also has a reverse feature that the driver can use that keeps the controller from sending power to the brakes while trying to backup and maneuver a trailer into place. Very cool feature. The P3 has a new quick clip-mount and uses the same plug-in harness as the Prodigy. And of course, a Lifetime Warranty.

Compared to the Prodigy, the P3 is easier to understand, operate, and read. After some long term use and testing (since April) I have found that the P3 does operate slightly smoother than the Prodigy, and the extra features that at first didn't seem to be that great, have proven themselves to me over longer use.

Personal Opinion:
If I already owned a Prodigy controller and only towed a few time a year, then spending more money on the P3 wouldn't make much since to me.

But, if I towed a lot, or was looking for a new controller, I would invest my money on the P3 and not even consider the Prodigy. It is by far an UPGRADE to the Prodigy. Without a doubt, Tekonsha listened to the people and the concerns that have been voiced over the last few years and have come up with a better, more usable, and more user friendly product.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Awesome product.... purchased several weeks ago from trailer guy (not as cheap as he has it listed now though! :flipoff2: ) and I love it. Feels like the trailer isnt even there!

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
WOW. Looks like this is going to be my next controller. I have the tekonsha Envoy in my dodge at the moment, but was planning on a prodigy for the F-800. Currently, my recently purchased trailers have vacumn over hydraulic, and strait electrics. I was either going to go to strait electrics on the flat beds, or convert the vacumn over hydraulic to electric over hydraulic, depending on the expense/performance question. If this can bounce back and forth like that, that'll save me a ton of work!

·
Registered
543 Posts
The PDF file wouldn't work for me... What has it got for emergency full powered manual braking? That's a must for me.... It needs to be easy to grab with no looking....

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW. Looks like this is going to be my next controller. I have the tekonsha Envoy in my dodge at the moment, but was planning on a prodigy for the F-800. Currently, my recently purchased trailers have vacumn over hydraulic, and strait electrics. I was either going to go to strait electrics on the flat beds, or convert the vacumn over hydraulic to electric over hydraulic, depending on the expense/performance question. If this can bounce back and forth like that, that'll save me a ton of work!
This is correct. You can go back and forth between straight electric, or the electric over hydraulic setting by pressing just a couple buttons running the the menu screen. Very handy.

The PDF file wouldn't work for me... What has it got for emergency full powered manual braking? That's a must for me.... It needs to be easy to grab with no looking....
The P3 has the manual braking lever on the under side just like the Prodigy.

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
This is correct. You can go back and forth between straight electric, or the electric over hydraulic setting by pressing just a couple buttons running the the menu screen.
One thing that worries me. The truck itself has air brakes. Does it just wire in to the brake light wire?

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing that worries me. The truck itself has air brakes. Does it just wire in to the brake light wire?
Yep.

Brake light wire off the brake switch
12v hot
ground
wire that goes to plug

Those are the four wires.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've got a 'Reese' brake controller (what can I say, it came with my truck). It works fine, but I have to constantly adjust how much brake I want the trailer to have. (My favorite conundrum is when I've been handling a trailer at lower speeds and then forget to adjust it after I get out on the interstate or something.)

Does the P3 have a 'progressive' type of braking or is there such a thing?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Does the manual brake provide full emergency power even though the controler is turned down for a lighter load?

Where on the web can I see all the specs and information?

Is there anything to stop obnoxisous brake chatter at low speeds? This is a major problem with some of the old controllers.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Does the P3 have a 'progressive' type of braking or is there such a thing?

Inertia controlled braking with an adjustable "boost" to the trailer to start everything slowing down. The harder you hit the truck brake, the harder the trailer brakes come on.

Does the manual brake provide full emergency power even though the controler is turned down for a lighter load?
You don't want the controller to give full power. If you lock up the brakes of the trailer, you lose control and the trailer provides no stopping power. Controller provides all of the voltage that you have the controller set for when the manual lever is fully applied.

Where on the web can I see all the specs and information?
In one of these threads, Aaron provided the link to the Tekonsha website.

Is there anything to stop obnoxisous brake chatter at low speeds? This is a major problem with some of the old controllers.
No chatter. Power delivery is smooth. If you have chatter with this controller, you have brake problems.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Full emergency power is a very important thing to me! Say you are going up a steep hill and you loose traction - now you have to stop. Trailer brakes work very poorly in reverse and you need all you can get to keep from sliding backwards. There are other times one may want to lock the trailer brakes without using the truck brakes. Loss of controll from skidding is only a problem at higer speeds. Contolling the trailer brakes on steep hills at slow speed is very important too.... I know people who have put a switch in to give a full 12v to the trailer for emergency trailer maximum braking. In my opinion if I go for a manual control I want it to be just that... I control the brakes from minimum to maximum....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Voyager in my truck now. Would the plug from the Voyager work for the P3? I'd hate to have to re-solder everything again. I s*ck at soldering...I was lucky to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That is alot of "what ifs?"

I have a Voyager in my truck now. Would the plug from the Voyager work for the P3? I'd hate to have to re-solder everything again. I s*ck at soldering...I was lucky to get it right the first time.
Voyager doesn't have a plug. :confused:

You can cut the wires at the controller and attach the P3 plug to the wires already hooked up. Or you can get the plug from Tekonsha that has both plugs already hooked up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
QUOTE]

What if's have a way of staking up when it comes to needing full braking...... Especially in steep hills with tight corners and big canyons.... It just doesn't seem like to much to ask for that the manual control should give full braking if I want it otherwise what's it for?

Maybe I will just have to go with the switch to put 12v right back there to lock em up....

Where can i get the full information on this thing on the web??

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
QUOTE]

What if's have a way of staking up when it comes to needing full braking...... Especially in steep hills with tight corners and big canyons.... It just doesn't seem like to much to ask for that the manual control should give full braking if I want it otherwise what's it for?

Maybe I will just have to go with the switch to put 12v right back there to lock em up....

Where can i get the full information on this thing on the web??
The manual lever below will make it go to full power (13.8 VDC) to the brakes I believe when you throw that lever. The boost function has 3 different levels, all changing how much initial braking is applied, and how the scale slides for proportional braking power from there on out.

Also, when stopped for longer than 7 seconds i think (like at a light or on a hill) the controller will bump up the voltage to 1/4 of maximum and maintain it there to make sure the trailer doesn't go anywhere.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts