Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and looked at a 85 blazer today and gonna pick it up and sign the papers tomorrow. Already sittin on a 6" lift and 33 bfg muds. No pics yet but I'll get some up tomorrow if all goes and planned. But yeah for 600 bucks I think I'm getting a good new toy:D

Plans:
As soon as its in my driveway the 33s and axles are comin of and going on craigslist.
These are gonna get replaced by hopefully a dana 60 and gm14 ff with some kind of locker and 38s-40s(basically what ever I can find for a good price)

Pull out the sawzall and go to town on the fenders.

Then throw on a shackle flip to getter sittin higher.(thinking about the Offroad Design 4")

And sometime this summer get to buildin a full cage and bumpers.

Anyways this will be my first trail rig build so any suggestions or pointers are very welcome and stay tuned for the BEFORE pics tomorrow. This is gonna be my new hobby when I move to tahoe next fall seeing how I wont be able to race my truck nearly as much.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does smog really matter if I regester it as a OHV?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I went to pick it up today and it died on us about 40 miles from home. With the help of a couple cal trans guys we got it running again (think it mite have been a problem with the electricity around the battery)(one of the cal trans guys also noticed that the water pump was leaking) but about a mile down the road it died again, so it got towed to a empty parking lot in san jose. So now I gotta rent a trailer in the morning and go pick it up. again.

Anyways I snapped a couple pictures on my phone before we left it.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Then throw on a shackle flip to getter sittin higher.(thinking about the Offroad Design 4")
So you are going to only lift the back up 4" extra? Or are you going to remove a block or something and use the shackle flip instead (witch is a good idea)?

I hope you are not going to be running a 10" lift with 38"-40" tires.... A 6" lift is the max I would put on any leaf spring 4wd no mater what the tire size.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm ditching the blocks and gonna go with the 4" flip and probably a 2-3" lift spring.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got an update

Since I've had it back both axles have been dropped including the springs and drive shafts, now its time to sell all the old junk and the good stuff under there.

Heres how it sits as of yesterday

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup thats why I didn't really mind driving 2 hours down there 3 times to get it home.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
*****UPDATE*****

Since the last post I've ordered and installed the ORD shackle flip, picked up some 39.5x16 tsl's (for $400:flipoff2:) and started cutting the fenders up and this weekend I'm going trailer shopping and looking at a 14b:D:smokin::D. I got the HD front shackles too but haven't got em on yet.

and yeah I know they're 6 lug rims but it'll work out perfect because 2 are 8 lug and that way I can keep the 10 bolt front till I move to tahoe next month, find a d60 up there and swap the wheels.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Is that shackle in backwards?
sure looks backwards to me! When the suspension compresses that shackle is going to bind up nicely!

I have never installed their flip kit before but I am fairly positive that you need to swap sides with your hangers unless you are going to mounting up some 56" springs.( the hangers are designed to run either length of spring I thought)

my .02

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yep flip the shackle

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
sure looks backwards to me! When the suspension compresses that shackle is going to bind up nicely!

I have never installed their flip kit before but I am fairly positive that you need to swap sides with your hangers unless you are going to mounting up some 56" springs.( the hangers are designed to run either length of spring I thought)

my .02
I thought only the diy4x could be switched around for 52/56 spring lengths.

·
Newb
3,118 Posts
Both ORD and Diy4x shackle flip brackets can be mounted accordingly for 52's or 56's. The ORD brackets shown appear to be mounted correctly (with the bracket angle forward).

As for the shackle, I agree, it's backwards.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts