Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty I'm getting ready to give my gunsmith a new headache. My plan is to build a .32 H&R magnum S&W model 10 Pencil barrel. No real purpose I just love the old Model 10's and I love the cartridge.

Problem is the barrel, I need to find a way to shrink it from .38 to .32, soaking it in hot water didn't work, using a Redman's barrel liner won't work(according to Redman's and my Smith) Trying to find an old .32 barrel in good shape is proving to be difficult. Any Ideas from the real experts?

In all fairness I could just hand it all over to the smith and wait on the bill but I like helping and finding solutions so he can concentrate on the work.

Input is appreciated

·
Broke
1,030 Posts
I may have missed the sarcasm. But you are never ever going to shrink a .38 to a .32.

Buy new barrel....
Give to smith......
????????????????
Do not profit but get what you want.

·
raise helldrink beer
1,687 Posts
Is the "pencil" barrel any thinner than the .357 barrel? My old boss use to press machined down blanks (basically liners at that point) into an aluminum housing on his single action builds. I don't have pics but remember his process. Barrel threads would end up being half aluminum and half steel so it wouldn't slide out he front.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I thought I saw somehwere barrel inserts.. You gun drill your old barrel to .500 or whatever and then shove the rifled barrel tube deal into your old barrel. Mostly used for old historical shit.

·
Premium Member
17,878 Posts
Mr Sayer
TJ's Enterprises
3652 Neltner Rd
Alexandria, KY 41001
859-635-5560

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys!!!

While the thought of heating the barrel and firing .32 rounds through it sound like a blast(literally), I think GoZuki has the best ideal. Now to break out the calipers and measure a pencil barrel and see what can be done to make this happen. Pictures will follow as soon as the mayhem begins.

After measuring the barrel at .534 I believe there could be a middle ground to be reached. I will contact Mr Sayers tomorrow and get his opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts