Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 614 Posts

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
You jerk! Thats the tire I'm running now! :D Do you have spys down here? :flipoff2:

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
~ I forgot to mention, I've got a D60/14Bolt combo now. 5.13s and Detroits F&R :eek: :grinpimp: :D :p

....anyway, back to the task at hand.

With the shocks mounts in place, I started finishing to tube work in back. Namely, the storage compartments. There will be two.

The first one I built was way in the back. Its going to be the smallest and will house *quick* items ~ such as straps, recovery gear and various other things I need to access in a hurry. You'll have to use your imagination on the outter wall ~ just got the inner one done. Its 20 gauge sheet metal, supported by 1/2" box tube.

The forward storage box (directly behind the cabin) will house less-frequently accessed things ~ like tools and such.

~ I tack-welded the sides to the center of the bars ~ this will allow me to mount the hinges sub-flush and make the top of the bed flat. The lids, floor and top will be 16 gauge tread-plate.

The 16 gallon FuelCell sits pretty snug between the front and rear storage compartments. It sits low in the bed ~ so I'll be installing a removable false floor so I can put my cooler on top of it (it'll also sit lower than the bed hieght.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
After the main walls were in I had to get the floors in place, but I didn't have the materials yet ~ so I started placing the tabs for the body panels instead.

Here is a shot of the tabs on the bed ~ I spaced them 6" apart to make sure they can handle being stepped on.

The side panels are 12" apart.

Still need to finish the tabs on the back and sides of the bed.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
After that ~ I decided I was tired of looking at the top being so bare of tube. It was time to start triangulating!

First I really liked the way we finished off LED's truggy ~

~ so I copied it in a way...

The big difference was that the two forward "V" tubes are actually one bar bent at a 90* angle and then I added downward bends on each side.

Then to round it all off I put two rear bars in to help add side-to-side strength to the top structure. Those bars weld to the V-shape, the rear spreaders AND to the main hoop as they pass over it.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Shadow man said:
You jerk! Thats the tire I'm running now! :D Do you have spys down here? :flipoff2:
YES :evil: I do! :evil: In fact, I want to be JUST LIKE YOU ~ except for that full body, SUPER power, rear-steering thing you got goin' on! :p

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I'm know that the triangulated fingers thing is all over ~ putting it together in a 90* single bar is something I hadn't done yet ~ but thought I'd try ~ it wasn't until I added the rear reinforcments that I decided to keep it.

If someone has built something like that before, I don't recall seeing it.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Shadow man said:
talk about milking a thread from Febuary!!! :flipoff2:
Hehehe!~ you know me. Its all about beating Grant on page numbers.

When you pull that syn rope hard, your gonna find out why I won't run it anymore. :shaking: What a pain in the ass. I went back to steel rope. :)
Got it pinched in the layer under eh? We've used it a couple times with other guy's and haven't had any problems yet ~ but Led's truggy isn't anywhere close to the weight of the Scout.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Snoopy said:
The biggest surprise I have for ya'll is a slight change in the drivetrain and tire/wheel decission.

I guess there is only one way to explain this...

Yup ~ thats a 42" tall, 14" wide Super Swamper IROK tire. Man is it sweet ~ I went to 4WheelParts and sized it up to a couple other tires. In fact, I found that the 39.5" IROK is as big as a standard 42" TSL ~ and the 42" IROK is 1.25-1.5" taller than the standard 42" TSL.

However, the 42" IROK only measures 40.75" tall without air. Yet, at the same time, without air the center of the tire is recessed a bit. I fully expect the tire to measure a true 42" after its mounted and air'd up.

So the question is "Why" ~ the answer is: "Because I can ~ and I want to." Led and I were chatting about things as we stood around Rusty late into the evening. The subject of tires came up and we started talking about going BIGGER. We both agreed that I couldn't get 39.5s on the D44/9-inch combo without beefing EVERYTHING up ~ so to make a long story short ~ we decided that IF I could sell the wheels/tires for enought to pick up some new axles and tires ~ then I'd do it.

Guess what....I got what I needed. $1350 for the set of 5 37s, 4 mounted on new beadlocks, 1 on a spare matching chrome rim ~ shipping brought it up to an even $1500. And that was enough....JUST enough.

In the end, this is the difference:
with 37s:

With 42s

I think it looks more porportional :D :D :D .
I agree. Very nice with the 42's.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I got the Hummer wheels back from the blaster today ~ and immediately dropped them off at the powder coater.

The back halfs are getting BK62 Black Hammer Semi-Gloss. The rings are getting RD03 90% gloss Red! :eek: :grinpimp: :eek: :grinpimp:

I should have them back by Friday.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote=The rings are getting RD03 90% gloss Red! :eek: :grinpimp: :eek: :grinpimp:

Well, with the addition of some white, coupled with the blue(sorta) paint rusty wears now, That atta make for a damn fine red white and blue bluggy. :)
Keep up the good work :cool2:

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Yesterday I got my rims back from the coater. I don't know what to say about the colors I choose ~ other than I'll need to go buy a Porsche to match the Scout now :D

Couldn't help but put the two tires against the scout to size it up ~ lookin' good from here!

:eek: :cool2: Now picture Rusty's cage a matching color and the skins will be black (you'll still be able to see the cage from the outside since the skins will only cover 1/2 the tube. Should look and work out real nice.

After sizin' up the new tires I thought I'd clean up the dash a bit :eek:

Now THAT is clean!

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Nothin so far. Christmas was crazy ~ REAL crazy. It's slowed down now so I've got a few things to finish up before I get back on it. :(

The good news is that I got the Aluminum Radiator in, Also go a new set of tools to work on it! :D :D :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Look`s real cool, I like the wheels.
Do you know any scout guys up here in denver?
My buddy has a pretty cool scout, flat black, with dana 60,70, 42`s with hummer wheels, and they are blue.
Then he has another one that is 4link in the rear with a 4cyl diesel.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Sounds alot like Dave King and his family. Black, narrowed up front, 42 on D60/D80 ~ coils up front, quarter ellip in back ~ his dad's rig is the diesel, 118" WB, coil-overs in back ~ and stuff.

Arguably one of the best IH builders I know!

Dave's 800 was one of the two 800s I fanticized over back in 2000 ~then he had orange (or was it red) highlights. The other was Dan Swartz's (sp) Red 800 on 38s. Before it was beat to crap ~ still looks good though. That was when I started dreamin' up my 4-link system. Lil Mule was built (although it didn't make it to RMIHR) and I was looking for a better answer than it's setup.

Dave is a top-notch guy. Good wheeler, great builder, and friendly to boot!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Snoopy said:
Sounds alot like Dave King and his family. Black, narrowed up front, 42 on D60/D80 ~ coils up front, quarter ellip in back ~ his dad's rig is the diesel, 118" WB, coil-overs in back ~ and stuff.

Arguably one of the best IH builders I know!

Dave's 800 was one of the two 800s I fanticized over back in 2000 ~then he had orange (or was it red) highlights. The other was Dan Swartz's (sp) Red 800 on 38s. Before it was beat to crap ~ still looks good though. That was when I started dreamin' up my 4-link system. Lil Mule was built (although it didn't make it to RMIHR) and I was looking for a better answer than it's setup.

Dave is a top-notch guy. Good wheeler, great builder, and friendly to boot!
Sounds like Dan's trucks to me also.

Damian and myself posted a few pics of said trucks here

They are what I want my little truck to grow up to be one day :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Damian, Dave and Mikes (Daves Father in law) trucks are Duelly Dana 60 front, Daves is Narrowed and Mikes is full width and both are running Dana 70 rears, Daves wheelbase is 106 or so and Mikes is also around that not 118" Both run Hummer wheels Dave with 42's and Mike with 39's

101 - 120 of 614 Posts