Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 140 of 614 Posts

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Funny ~ I thought I saw a highlighted "80" on Dave's rear axle back in the day when it was red-ish. I am 30 years old....they say memory is the first to go. :confused: ~ or was it :blush:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Snoopy said:
Sounds alot like Dave King and his family. Black, narrowed up front, 42 on D60/D80 ~ coils up front, quarter ellip in back ~ his dad's rig is the diesel, 118" WB, coil-overs in back ~ and stuff.

Arguably one of the best IH builders I know!

Dave's 800 was one of the two 800s I fanticized over back in 2000 ~then he had orange (or was it red) highlights. The other was Dan Swartz's (sp) Red 800 on 38s. Before it was beat to crap ~ still looks good though. That was when I started dreamin' up my 4-link system. Lil Mule was built (although it didn't make it to RMIHR) and I was looking for a better answer than it's setup.

Dave is a top-notch guy. Good wheeler, great builder, and friendly to boot!
Yeah it is dave king that I know. I`am going to have him help me with my 4 link on my toyota truck. I have gone wheelin with him before, I met him through a friend of mine in the HVAC business.
I was at his new house back when he was building his father inlaws scout, he has a cool shop.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Snoopy said:
Funny ~ I thought I saw a highlighted "80" on Dave's rear axle back in the day when it was red-ish. I am 30 years old....they say memory is the first to go. :confused: ~ or was it :blush:
Dave is running a dana 70 rear, I know that for sure, he and his father inlaw are running dually diff`s, because they want to be that wide and they are cheaper to buy.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well I guess its time to update you on what's going on with Rusty. so here we go.

I got the new axles for it ~ The 14-bolt is going in ~ I was happy to see that the truss from the 9-inch worked on the 14-bolt ~ I was surprised it fit as well as it did ~ even cut it down 1/4" (height wise).

Also shaved a bunch of weight off it by removing the drums and the spring perches. Cleaned up rather nice though.

4-link brackets are on, truss is on and welded, mounted the new shock tabs as well.

Then shot it with some Paintable Undercoating.

Moved Rusty with the Forklift and put the axle under it.

This is NOT ride height ~ I have it up that high to allow me an easier time welding things on the under side.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Forgot to mention the arrival of Rusty's radiator ~ Summit 2-row aluminum.

Looks like I'm going to be getting a Tarus fan from MTroy and I'll be *pinching* the front grill to match the width of the radiator!
Should make trimming fenders easier!

I also finished up the storage compartments (floors and sides) and have cut the diamond plate for the bed

Then I searched for a good way to clean up the storage compartment corners ~ I also want to 100% seal them up in case of a fluid spill or muddy conditions. So I spent the better part of a saturday searching for some good 'materials' that I could paint when I get to that.

I was looking for seam-sealer (from an auto body shop) but couldn't find anyone open so I ended up with (1) Metal Fill and Patch, (2) Gorilla Glue, (3) Stampede Polyurethane sealer and (4) Bondo (in case everything else fails).

I found that the Metal Fill/Patch worked the best to my liking ~ in fact I didn't even use the urethane sealer or bondo (thank goodness) ~ Step one was to puddle the fill in every possible crack ~ and let it harden

When this stuff hardens, it's sandable ~ so I put more on than needed knowing I'd be sanding and painting later. After I cleaned everything up it came out REAL nice.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I'm used the Urethane between the compartment walls and tube work to make sure any 'rattling' is kept to a minimum ~ I will say that the addition of the filler really helped that already ~ my goal is to completely elliminate it ~ and the 'thom' sound when you beat on the metal sides of the storage compartments.

After that, I'll use the Urethane on the insides of the main 'big' compartment, and then spray/roll it with the Duplicolor truck-bed coating I used on Snoopy ~ to keep the metal-on-metal sounds down and further lessen the possibility of noise ~

I'm not going to use this urethane again ~ its still tacky and its making me :mad3: ~ they guys at Sherwin Williams said it'd cure, but be plyable ~ now they are telling me it may be tacky forever :shaking: . I'll give it another couple days and see where it goes ~ If/After this stuff cures I'm going to get some bed liner for it. ~ should look pretty nice..

I also installed the rear compartment's hinged lid ~ there are three 3-inch hinges (got from Ace) to support it ~ I'm going to add a latch later.

·
Premium Member
8,778 Posts
Dame...

The best stuff to use for what you want to do is called BOSTIK. It is available in black or white. It is an automotive sealant/adhesive. We used it on all the RV's we manufactured when I worked at WRV.COM.

It is also used by car manufacturers to attach panels and body pieces. For it cures within a couple of hours since it is Xylene based. Then it retains it's poly base flexibility for life.

I used it to assemble some prototype high performance softball bats that I designed and it is still flexible right now sitting on my desk. That was about 5 years ago.

Check it out...every garage should have some...BOSTIK

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well, Rusty's tube work in the back is done ~ almost finished the metal work as well ~ but I still needed to put a few things in place so that I can call the back end complete. First big thing was the fuel cell mounts. I modified the Summit-supplied stuff for my mounting and then welded the brackets to the tube work ~

...came out nice ~ should by pleanty sturdy.

Then came the bump-stop for the center of the axle...

Then put the door on the rear storage area...

Them preped the tube/metal work for some paint...

Must not turn tire redish

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Ok ~ just so we know ~ I asked the paint question (see other thread) before leaving the office. I have 2 cans of this Rustoleum but its initial 'softness' scares me. Since the place I painted red will end-up bed-lined, I figure its a good place to test and see how hard this paint will be when its dry.

The primer went down pretty thick so I'm going to let it dry a bit and then sand it a little before painting. I figure the paint should be pretty dry by monday ~ so we'll see how it all works out.

Other than that ~ that was my weekend's work on Rusty. :shaking: :(

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Well, I couldn't help myself. Having all the this red paint around made me do it. Ya, I painted the back of Rusty. :evil:

Then I stopped at the local truck shop for a good way to secure my new storage compartments. Found these ~ they even have the same key!

Seemed to looked pretty nice in my head :crazy: ~ so I installed them.

:grinpimp: :cool2:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Snoopy said:
Well, I couldn't help myself. Having all the this red paint around made me do it. Ya, I painted the back of Rusty. :evil:

Then I stopped at the local truck shop for a good way to secure my new storage compartments. Found these ~ they even have the same key!

Seemed to looked pretty nice in my head :crazy: ~ so I installed them.

:grinpimp: :cool2:
What's the length and width on those latches, and what kinda truck shop did you find them at (semi truck?) My buddy is looking for some latches but all the ones he found were to big.

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
I dig it Damian! It's coming together really nicely!

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
LIKES2CRAWL said:
What's the length and width on those latches, and what kinda truck shop did you find them at (semi truck?) My buddy is looking for some latches but all the ones he found were to big.
They are paddle handles (acording to the packages). But McMaster Carr has them labeled "Recessed-Handle Paddle Latches". The version is pictured in illustration #1, Page 2795, Catalog 111, PN 11585a73 ~ lists them at $38 each, and measure 4" x 5" x2"

But I found them at Layton Truck for $10.25 each. Layton is the place for customizing commercial trucks around here. ~ meaning they specialize in putting flat and utility beds on SuperDuties ~ they also have parts and peices ~ which is the isle I found them in ~ they had big, medium and small ~ these were the medium ones.

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
binderbound said:
Dont be surprised if you get a visit from a ragged bunch of wheelers after the utah crawl next month.
Bring it awn! :cool2: :evil: :cool2: :evil:

121 - 140 of 614 Posts